Recommend Me Some VA

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'd like to try a little more pure VA. So far I've had one of the Christmas Cheer vintages, but that doesn't count as I didn't know how to smoke it well enough to appreciate it at the time. I've had DVD (edit: stupid keyboard....FVF) and loved it, but hey I wan't something I can actually get my hands on. I'm smoking McC 2035 right now, and it's pretty good.

What are some must-try 100% pure unflavored, unscented, unsweetened VA blends that are easy to find and preferably more on the affordable side?

I'm thinking of getting some GAF with my next order, and possibly some Christmas Cheer again soon for try #2 now that I know how to smoke flakes better...what else to try?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Blackwoods Flake & Dark Star star are a couple I would recommend since you seem get along with the McClelland blends so far. McCranies Red Flake is good. Astleys #44 & 88 are wonderful. Wessex Gold Brick, Gold Virginia Flake and Red Virginia Flake are tasty.
    Germain Brown Flake is my favorite Virginia, but can be tough to get. The rest that I mentioned are readily available. As far as affordable goes, I don't know if you and I have the same definition. I know that I can't afford to smoke crappy tobacco, after that, everything is fair game.

3. alchemist

alchemist Member

Iwan Ries IRC Virginia Flake
    McCranie's Red Flake and Red Ribbon
    McClelland's Blackwoods Flake
    Rattray Hal O' the Wynd and Old Gowrie

All, I believe, are readily available on the retail market. They're all excellent Virginias.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ah alright, I think I'll definitely have to check out at least the Blackwoods Flake. I do find McC flakes a little trickier than most, but not difficult really. I just can't simply stuff em unfortunately.

Thinking Blackwoods Flake, GAF, and maybe something ribbon cut as well....5100, is that pretty good? It's certainly very widely available

5. Albert

Albert Active Member

Blackwoods Flake and GAF for sure. These two have basically become my rotation. everything else in my cellar is just change of pace bowls now.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Blackwoods flake is really good.

I would recommend C&D Opening Night and GLP Union Square too.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mc Cranie's Red Flake & Ribbon

Dan Hamborger Veermaster & Tordenskjold Va Slices (the Tordenskjold does have a tough of honey)

Christmas Cheers

GAF

Rattrays Marlin Flake

If in doubt? Go to TR and pick a 4-star with high numbers or raters. Not saying to be a lemming or Pied Piper's Folly but that many pipers can't be that wrong.

Ed
    Puff

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Oh and let us not forget the SG & GH entries

FVF
    BBF
    Golden Glow (MVF in bulk)
    Bright CR

Ed
    Puff

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

t
    +3

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

It might pay for you to know what style VA each is...you may find you have a preference for stoved VA, for instance. (2035 is a stoved flake, for one). 5100 is a solid Red ribbon cut VA, etc. etc. Some of the blends listed are a variety of VA styles...no harm there, either. I'm currently smoking IRC VA Flake, a lemon/orange VA much like GAF. Very tasty!

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Armed with this new body of knowledge you shall now go forth into the world and seek out 100g of the very-available Rattray's Marlin Flake ($12 at JRCigar); rub moderately when moderately dry, fill your favorite cob or modestly sized briar gently, tamp lightly, light fully and sip quickly... and so on and so forth until short sips make snorkable, copius clouds.

Reduce your rpm's to something above an idle and continue directly to dark VA Nirvana.

12. MarkC

MarkC Member

Dan Hamborger Veermaster is this a new flake? Seems like it's getting a lot of praise lately.

Mark

13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

G L Pease is notorious for being an outstanding blender & have wonderful blends for you to try. I would also consider a Navy Flake, particularly Stokkebye's. It is uncased. It is Virginias, Flued Virginias (which is a different way of curing that brings out natural sweetness), touch of burley & a barely noticeble touch of perique. It is naturally sweet & has the grassy sweet scent in the humidor. THIS is one of 2 all day smokers for me that I always have on hand in bulk.

SO, G.L. Pease if ya like a tin, & Navy Flake if yer likin' how flakes burn.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

No, it's not new and I x5 my recommendation for it. It's my absolute favorite Virginia, though I've never had FVF.

5100 is good too, but has a totally different flavor than the above. It's very mild and mixes easily with other tobaccos too.

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I love LNF and smoke it often, though I discovered it recently. That said, I'm looking for straight Virginia, and LNF is a Virginia/perique blend

16. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Hmm, Then a tin of Vauen No. 14 in a tin would do you nicely, that's a straight up virginia flake. http://pipesandcigars.com/vaviflpito5t.html
    Next I'd recommend G L Pease Montgomery. http://pipesandcigars.com/glpemo2otin5.html
    Finally I'd recommend G L Pease Union Square. (the difference between this & Montgomery is the Montgomery has a SLIGHT touch of Kentucky.)http://pipesandcigars.com/glpetinunsqf.html

I HAVE smoked entire tins of these blends and they are a real treat!!! I love these. If you're looking for no nonsense, straight up virginia, then the 2 tins of ribbon & 1 tin of flake are an outstanding start & you'd be hard pressed to find anyone NOT liking either of the 3. Check out the reviews of these blends when you get a chance. May help in decision making.

~Jason

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ok, I appreciate all the input, folks! So whats up? Of course I've made up my own mind, but here's what's coming and what I have now...

Just picked up a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2010 and a tin of McClelland Mature Virginia No. 27. While it apparently also contains some burley, I've got a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced on the way, and also a tin of G.L. Pease Union Square.

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Smoked a bowl of 27 after work. Good show, McC.

Just lit up the CC2010. WOW!

19. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

My favorites are Rattray's HOTW, Old Gowrie, and Marlin Flake.

20. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I've yet to try marlin flake, maybe now I have an excuse to pay the backonista a visit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.