1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a small pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BD74, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD74

BD74 Member

Hi,

I need to get hold of a small, cheap pipe. I am trying to quit cigarettes and need a small pipe that I can smoke during my 15 min or so breaks at work...More for the nic fix than anything.

Can anyone suggest anything? Cheap is good cos I will use it for any tobaccos and maybe a game of keepy-ups if I get time on my break!

Thanks in advance!

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I think a Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride would be ideal: http://www.corncobpipe.com/home.php?cat=269 You can get up to an hour smoke out of these little pipes with the right tobacco (P.S. Luxury Navy or Twist Flake, for instance). If you bought one of those little metal bowl covers, you could re-light the bowl on your breaks or you could load a half bowl.

WyoBob

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think a Falcon would be ideal, different size and style bowls for all occasions!
    Cheers, OT

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

A Dr. Grabow lark is a good smaller pipe and dont cost much used .. WVsmokeshops got them pretty cheap on sale . If ya go used then the sky is the limit

5. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

Try looking at the Missouri Meerschaum Washington, Legend, Missou or Pony Express. The last two are the smallest and are made exactly for that length of time. The first two are a bit bigger than the last two I suggested, but would be great as well if you wanted something a little nicer.
    Also a Dr. Grabow Lark would be a good choice I think as well if you wanted to pay just a little more for briar instead of cob.

6. BD74

BD74 Member

Cheers for all the suggestions! This truly is an awesome site!

I have a few cobs at the moment...and a few more wouldn't hurt!

I like the Dr Grabow pipes after reading about them on this forum. I am struggling to find a supllier in the EU.

To google...

7. Hothog

Hothog Member

Pipe smoking licks cig smoking. You get the benefits without the guilt. Get any cheap pipe and strong tobie. The ritual takes you a longer time and the hobby is satisfaction.

8. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

If you are looking for a small pipe that you will use for short smokes to help quit cigarettes, there are a couple of things you will need to consider:

1. it will need to be pocket sized and portable
    2. it will need to be able to withstand multiple bowls smoked per day without resting time
    3. it will need to be a cool smoker due to fast paced 15 minute puffing
    4. on a side note, you will have to find high nic tobaccos with a taste that you can enjoy multiple bowls of per day, i.e. Dunhill Royal Yacht.

Based on these criteria I would recomment a Kirsten Horizon, maybe even with a meerschaum bowl.
    http://www.kirstenpipe.com/page_pipestyles.shtml

9. BD74

BD74 Member

Yeah - I have only been smoking a few weeks...maybe 6 or so? I am enjoying it more and more with everyday. Still trying to find the tobaccos I like, but I guess that will take a lifetime, and the technique. That's half the fun.

I am smoking a lot less...only really as pipes take a long time and I need the nic fix, especially at work. The GF smokes and I find that I am beginning to find the smell of cigarettes a little bit disgusting.

10. BD74

BD74 Member

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

A lot of those Samuel Gawith tobacco's in the link should fit the bill well. Have you checked out www.tobaccoreviews.com yet? it is a useful tool for deciding on tins

12. BD74

BD74 Member

I got a tin of Skiff and I'm loving it!!! Dunno what the nicotine content is like though!

I use tobaccoreview.com just to give me an indication of flavours and whether it's aromatic or whatever. TR pointed me to Skiff and I wish I had paid more attention to it before I bought Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice...

13. CBR

CBR Member

BD74, I used to keep a MM legend in my desk loaded with Dunhill Royal Yacht or Kendal Kentucky but found in the long haul it was inconvenient to carry it in my pocket to meetings etc. before/after a smoke. I "downsized" to a MM nosewarmer (check out walker briar works - shipping overseas is cheap too) and with a total length shorter than my palm is wide it's very portable. I admit the price is more than a regular cob but with the lucite stem it will last forever (as its name implies).

14. BD74

BD74 Member

15. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

16. CBR

CBR Member

17. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks tgo a good friend I am working with a couple of Doc Grabows - a Lark and a Duke - at present and have been for a couple of weeks. I think they'd fir the bill for you pretty well. Missouri Meerschaum's cobs are brilliant, but if you are looking for something more conventional for work then Doc Grabow could be what you are looking for,

Best to all

Gerry

18. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Those nosewarmer stems look very nice. Does the pine shank need to be trimmed down a bit to get the full nosewarmer effect, or is everyone just plugging them into a stock cob?

19. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

I have four nosewarmer stems now Chris. I put them on the stock shanks of diplomats and two eggs. They are awesome IMHO!!!

20. CBR

CBR Member

The bowl that comes with the nosewarmer stem is a truncated shank, but the stem can be interchanged onto any MM bowl and change it from a billiard to a lovat style look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.