1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations For Someone New

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mitch11111, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc Active Member

First let me say, I do not recommend using any kind of alcohol on any pipe bowl, especially a cob bowl, a sour pipe is usually caused by a soured cake, if you have a cake in your cob remove the cake, dry ream the bowl, remove the stem and put it outside in the fresh air and sunshine for the day and let that cob really dry out for a couple of days. I rejuvenate all my cobs this way every spring and throughout the summer. Fresh air works wonders on a cob. Also, if I was going to sweeten a pipe bowl with something, I would use a pipe sweetener, not vodka.

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

Whoops! LOL Oh well if it didn't work and the pipe is ruined I'm gonna be out $6.99, but considering depreciation on this 3 year old cob, maybe it's more like $.10 LOL.

Pipe sweetener is mostly alcohol based I thought. I've read, and have successfully used vodka in my briars in the past. Alcohol should be kept away from the exterior of the pipe, as well as the stem, but for the inside, after de-caking, it's worked for my briars.

Let's see if this link works:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/cleaning.cfm

3. SBritton

SBritton Member

Is it not like a good meal? Something about CH I find 'filling'. In a good way, like mash potatoes or something. Ya just scoop it in there and enjoy.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Cobs are not briar and a pipe sweetener has about 30%-35% alcohol by volume, that's a big difference compared to liquor. Good luck, hope it works out well for you!

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

I see you really take your cobs seriously Marc. That's cool. But yeah, if it doesn't work I won't be too bummed. Either way, I'll report back.

I hope you don't report me to the SPCA,
    Society for the Prevention of Cob Abuse
    [​IMG]

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I smoke cobs and briars, just enjoy cobs more and there's no one size fits all pipe maintenance for all the different pipe mediums out there, i.e. briar, brylon, clay, cob, meerschaum etc. the care and maintenance I think would differ between them in some ways no? SPCA that's funny!

7. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Hence why I said I could be wrong....and why I spend so much time on this sight. I learn new things daily. Thanks Marc

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Bear in mind, sometimes other steps are involved in preparing a pipe for ghost exorcism!

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I strongly recommend that when you find a toby that you don't care for, set it aside. Don't throw it away! I've done that to a few tin/bagfuls of premium toby back in the day and now only come to realize that my tastes have changed and now I'm crazy about the stuff I threw away! If I'd only set it aside, and kept it in a jar with my other toby, it'd have been nicely aged and I'd have had zero regret(s). Yes, it was to several tin/bagfuls! I'm so ashamed. Lessons learned (hindsight SUX!).

10. Stoked

Stoked Member

Good news Marc. I'm now smoking some CH through the cob that I thoroughly scraped (it had a LOT of carbon) and flushed out with vodka. I let it thoroughly dry first. There's no more sourness. It's smoking great, just like a cob that is new but has been broken in. I can taste the CH really well, and considering it's a mild flavor, I'd have to conclude that my little experiment has worked.

I personally believe that "pipe sweeteners" are overrated, but to each his own when it comes to this most excellent hobby.

[​IMG]

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

A cob saved, a cob delivered! Good job bringing that cob back around! :huh:

12. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I've not thrown any baccy away sense I started....and I never buy less the a pound if in bulk or a few 100 grams if tinned. If I do not like it it simply gets stored. I've already found that my taste changes as I learn more.

13. WarmGlow

WarmGlow Member

Here's my 2cents:
    Drugstore blends: Captain Black Royal
    B&M tobaccos: JM Boswell: No Bite Delight (light aromatic)
    : Mild English (one of my favorites.Great "entry level,all-day" English).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.