Recommendations please: Lat, Turk, Orient blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jgstudios, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

The quest continues. It seems that Virginias don’t agree with me. Still trying to work out the cavendish and burley factors, but I positively like Frog Morton on the town best so far which is a Latakia, Turkish, Oriental blend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I will be sampling FM on the Bayou tonight. Perhaps the perique will be a nice addition, but any blends with the lat, turk, orient, variety would be greatly appreciated for my next batch order. Thanks to all. JG

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A logical step would be McClelland Oriental #14, or maybe some McC Bombay Court. Relatively under the radar blends that are the next progression strength wise from the Frogs.

Capt likes this.
  3. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Thanks jpberg. Those two are now in my list, but how about something with no Virginias? I'm not finding I like FM Original when compared to FMOTT. Not so say it's not good, I like FM Original a whole lot better than some of the MacBaren and Peterson blends and others with high concentrations of Virginia. I've been smoking FM original exclusively for the last few days and it's good, but I'm tasting something "sour" in there. I don't get that from On The Town, so I'm attributing that to the V. In this case, I'm looking for no Virginia at all...at least, if it can be helped and only in small, small doses. I notice alot of "English" blends have Virginias in almost every case. Also what does the addition of cavendish or burley do to a blend like the lat, orient, turk? Does it sweeten it? Does it make it more flavored? I think that FMOTT is pretty good, and is my favorite now, but I'm after something stronger, different; as you suggested "...the next progression..." FMOTT does not show Virginia, and that one really got the hooks in me so that is now my standard to measure against. JG

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Look into PS English Oriental. Very awesome smoke and comes in bulk, Beale.

5. jpberg

jg, FMOTT may not list virginias, but they are the bedrock of all things McClelland, you won't escape them. You don't want to anyway.
    The sour that you are picking up, well done on the pickup by the way, is the oriental, probably basma. Which is why you need to go to the Bombay Court and the #14. We can break down different orientals after you have sampled them.
    As a matter of fact, pm me, and we'll set you up with some stuff to try.

Dondi and HCraven like this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree with Berg on the #14. That is a nice Oriental blend, and relatively easy to like, I think. I haven't tried Bombay Court, but I've got an unopened tin of Bombay Extra waiting to make my acquaintance.

Anyone who has read more a couple of my posts knows that I would point you toward Squadron Leader as a good Oriental-forward English blend, but there's lots of stuff to try while waiting for that to become available. One of my favorite sleepers is Robert Lewis' Tree Mixture. A bit smokier than SL, I think, but very well balanced and delicious.

Capt likes this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

An English blend in modern popular terms would be any blend containing all three of the following: Virginia, orientals other than latakia, and latakia. Sometimes people will accept something as an "English" blend without one of those (for instance, no orientals but latakia and virginia) but not usually. An example is Frog Morton (original) which is mostly VA with a decent little serving of latakia in there.

Very rarely will you find a latakia and oriental only blend. Esoterica's Margate is the only one that comes to mind.

You can find a few "English" blends where burley stands in for or accompanies the VA, which would help tone down the sweetness and make a "drier" blend.

Personally I think a good Virginia backbone is important to most English and oriental blends. I could see it working with a little burley, or burley instead of VA (maybe) but I have trouble seeing how a pure oriental/lat blend would work. I'll find out soon enough, I guess, as I have a couple bowls worth of Margate set aside to sample. Supposed to be good stuff, so I'm excited to give it the old college try :)

MacNutz likes this.
  8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

You might like Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian. Although, it does have some Virginia in it.
    According to tobacco reviews these are the contents: Kentucky, Virginia, Latakia, Oriental and Turkish

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Rattray's Red Rapparee is also an excellent
    oriental blend!

11. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

OK, Excellent! That's very interesting to know. jpberg states that McClelland uses Virginia in many if not all products. As a newb, I'm going by the listings in Tobacco Reviews website which does not list Virginia in either FMOTT or FMOTB. Both of which I prefer over FM Original. I will be sampling FM Across The Pond sometime next week, and by the way, which is listed with Virginia. I know that some of those listings are not 100% accurate, but it's what I go by for now. I suppose I need to delve deeper and explore the different brands websites to see if there is more detail there. Also jpberg you stated that I don't want to "escape" the use of Virginias. What is your philosophy on that? Since I really can't yet differentiate the different tobaccos I can't tell what is what, but I do know I like FMOTT and FMOTB best so far over the 20 or so tobaccos I've tried. Whatever it is they're doing with those, I like it alot. Thanks for the advice and any more recommendations are greatly appreciated. JG.

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

GL Pease Cairo is a great VA/Oriental Blend.

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

You can get a tin sampler of the McC orientals from P&S pretty cheap...not a bad deal and a good way to try a few of their blends:

http://pipesandcigars.com/mcorsa.html

They may not be the most elite blends, but they're tasty!

14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I also go to a couple of shops in town that have their own bulk blends. Those usually cost less than the tins by volume and they will give you samples usually. Because I can look at them and smell them and sample some as well as buying, I've been able to get a pretty decent beginner's grasp of what the elements in the taste come from.
    You do the same with tins but if you have a real tobacconist with a nearby B&M they can be most useful in this self educational process.

15. jpberg

Virginia tobaccos are the bedrock of almost every tobacco you'll ever smoke. Virginias come in all shapes and sizes, and granted, you won't like all of them, lord knows I don't, but you'd have a pretty narrow smoking life if you kept away from them all together.
    Another blend you may want to try (my apologies if it has already been listed) is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.
    Again, when you've tried a few more blends, it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

16. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Thanks everyone. Very enlightening and this gives me more to contemplate and research. Based on this thread I've made a discovery which I will post in another topic.

One more thing. I checked out McClellands website last night and was a bit disappointed because they do not go into any detail at all about the tobaccos that are in their blends. It's fun to look at the products, but I was kind of let down since I thought they would certainly list the tobaccos used in each blend. They do have some basic info and a brief FAQs page; check out link below. JG

http://www.pipeshowonline.net/McClelland_Home.php

17. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Hey, jpberg, What is and how do I "pm" you??? Sorry for my ignorance...I'm a computer systems admin and I don't know what the heck that is.

18. jpberg

Click on the Rover and and select start a conversation.

19. Capt

Capt Active Member

I would also vote for McClelland #14.

20. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

OK, I placed my order for a BUNCH of tobaccos. It's the most I've ever spent in one shot on this stuff, anyway, I did include MC Oriental Mix #14 as well as MC Bombay Court, and several others, Presbyterian Mixture, GLP Odyssey, Sam Gawith Commonwealth, C&D 10 Russians, C&D Sunset Harbor Flake, and Balkan Sasieni. All of these based on intensive searching on TR website. I also ordered 5 tins of FMOTT just to make sure I had a good stash of my favorite. This is ridiculous...it is some weird mental sickness, but I can't stop!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.