Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Charles, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles

Charles Member

I recently cracked a tin of SG Chocolate Flake and have really fallen in love with it. I love its mild to medium creamy flavor. Any other mild to medium english flakes you would recommend? Doesn't have to be a chocolate flake since I can barely taste it in this. But I'm not a big fan of heavy lat blends.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Though it does contain Latakia, SG's Navy Flake is another one of their offerings not to be missed, and the Latakia is not by any means an overwhelming presence in it, IMO.

3. Charles

Charles Member

How is PS English Luxury? I really like the Stokkebye stuff for its price, flavor, and bulk option.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well, BBF has some chocolate undertones,
    but it's probably not as pronounced as the
    aforementioned. May be better just to find
    a GH substitute.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I like English Luxury alright. It's a fair bit different than Chocolate flake. It's more of a straightforward English blend, with Latakia playing a larger role than Orientals, I think. Good for the money, but I'll smoke Squadron Leader over it as long as I have some around. More Orientals than Latakia in SL.

6. Charles

Charles Member

I haven't had any Orientals before...VA and Burley blends make up 99% of my cellar. I just recently got into light Latakia blends. Shortcut to Mushrooms and Chocolate flake are the only ones I've liked so far. I do have a 250g box of SL that I haven't tried yet. I'm scared to fall in love with it since it always seems to be in short supply.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

GH Bobs Chocolate Flake

Ed
    Puff

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

You're right. I can't let you take that risk. Please send the offending box to Herb, care of this forum, before it's too late! :xd:

Spaceboy Tim and Mark w4mms like this.
  9. Charles

Charles Member

Haha! My local got a case of SL and FVF last week. They must have 20-30 250gboxes of each plus 50 tins. I bought what I could. Pay day is Wed. but Christmas shopping is killing my TAD...stupid kids hahahah...if only they knew how much their dad loved em.

HCraven likes this.
  10. Bent

Bent Member

I will never tire of recommending GL Pease blends, he's got a few with small doses of latakia.
    There's debate as to the latakia contents of Presbyterian Mixture, but worth the try for what you describe. SL is excellent too, but I'm afraid you won't find anything similar to the chocolate flake. After the first time I tried it I was so in love with it that I was looking for similar offerings but kept coming back to CF.

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

G.H. Louisiana Perique Flake. :puffy:

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Yes. This. If you like the SG, you will like the G&H-- it's similar, but fuller-flavored and more rounded. Boy, do I hate trying to describe flavors.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I get more chocolate and a richer flavor from the GH but the SG is quite good too!

If ya really want some tasty chocolate smoke, get

Two Friends "English Chocolate"...a wonderfully tastee smoke for chocolate lovers!

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.