1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

rediscovering an old friend

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Bri2k, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Yesterday I spent a very enjoyable hour I'd like to share with you.

It was early evening and the sky had darkened with clouds that hinted at rain and the approaching autumn. A meager supper was finished and I sat down to enjoy watching the early 1980s spy thriller Smiley's People starring Sir Alec Guinness on the web. The phrase "they don't make them like that anymore" is now a cliche, but it holds true of this film and its forerunner, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Both are espionage dramas that somehow manage to ratchet up the anxiety and thrill by mere dialogue and a timely glance or close-up shot of a character's eyes growing wide with fear.

While waiting for the next part to load, I thought a pipe might enhance things. What I really wanted was some Orlik Golden Sliced and I found an unopened tin. Having trouble prying off the lid, I decided this was the cosmos telling me to save it for another time. Instead, I looked over at at my pipe rack hiding in the shadows underneath a side table. It was there I resumed an acquaintance with an old friend.

As some of you may know, things at the office have been hectic for a while now and it's rare when I can enjoy more than the odd Doc Grabow full of Carter Hall while stealing time to visit my girlfriend. I have over 20 pipes and I doubt I've smoked more than a couple of them over the last four months. (I use the phrase 'have' instead of 'own' here since ownership of such things as pipes is temporary as we all hope they'll be passed on once we ourselves pass on.) Fortunately, I recently remembered the importance of taking time to slow down and enjoy a pipe and how that thoughtful, seemingly timeless moment can be a balm for one's mind and spirit.

I reached to the rack and withdrew my formerly beloved John Sterling Canadian. Immediately I was struck by its light weight which belied the nice long shank and generous bowl. The grain is especially eye-catching, alternating wonderful swept lines and swirls of birdseye. The pipe fit my hand as if it was made for it and I was brought to mind shaking hands with a very close friend upon meeting after years apart. It may be a good six months or more since I last smoked this pipe and as it had been pre-ordained the Golden Sliced was out, I filled it with 5100 Red Cake, a fine Virginia in its own right.

First I was greeted with a slightly faded version of the "ketchup" tang many McClelland tobaccos are known for. As my 5100 is over a year old, this effect isn't as bold as usual. There's definitely no middle-ground; one either loves or hates this peculiar spiciness and you can count me among its fans. Perhaps being a life-long resident of the city which Heinz calls home has something to do with it. The smoke wafted around me in lovely, diaphanous threads as I savored the rich flavors and satisfying calmative properties of this blend.

My enjoyment of this pipe and the spy thriller lasted a full hour as I alternately sipped and puffed depending on the level of intrigue and tension in Sir Alec's masterful performance. The epsidode ended almost on cue when my pipe did and I was left with a warm feeling of apppreciation for an old friend, lost but now once again found.

I encourage you to slow down and take a moment to see if you too can become reacquainted with one of your own old friends who may have been bereft of your company for too long.

2. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Nice story! Thanks for sharing :bing:
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Great story!
  4. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Apr 27, 2011
    This makes me want to have a pipe and watch a movie myself :)
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I won't be sitting down to a bowl of an old favorite tonight, but I'm glad to hear that you had a happy re-union. If more people could learn to savor simple pleasures like an old movie, a good pipe, and some pleasant tobacco then I believe the world would be a much happier place.

As for me, it's my trusty MM Spool and a newly found friend - some Condor flake. No doubt, a long time friend to many a smoker across the pond. (Good choice in friends, by the way).
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    It's nice to see you back again , brian .
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    Well done, Brian. Come back when you can stay longer:)
  8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks, Brian. Don't be a stranger.
  9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    You should write reviews for movies. I think you'ld be good at it. Teach those film critics how it should be done.

Ol Brokedik.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.