1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

refinishing a pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by gunslinger84, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I have a no name briar pipe that I bought to be my first pipe. It was pretty cheap, it has a small bowl. I have smoked this pipe quite a few times, I noticed that the rim is starting to blister. I have read about finishes not allowing to breathe, also read that I can remove such a finish by using finger nail polish remover since it has acetone in it. I removed the finish, allowed it to dry. I sanded the pipe with 0000 steel wool till it was smooth as glass, I wiped the pipe down with a clean cloth to remove any dust and then applied a couple coats of mineral oil that I use on my cutting boards and wooden spoons. The no name pipe looks so much better now without the fake coloring of the old finish. I forgot to take some pictures before heading into work today. So once I get home up try to get some good pictures made and will post them.

Gunslinger,

By the way if up did something wrong as in if I now destroyed my pipe please tell me. I have done woodworking all my life but this is the first time I refinished a pipe.

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this will work for me, the options in the top of the message box are not working like they should and I have tried Android browser, opera, and Firefox in my phone.

Gunslinger,

3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

You did a very nice job, your pipe looks very nice.

4. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Pretty little pipe!

5. conroygc

conroygc Member

Looks great!

6. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Nice pipe. Kudos.

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

The pipe looks great. I have never used mineral oil to treat briar but would be a bit concerned about applying penetrating oil that may change heat retention and/or impart flavor.

Let us know how it smokes.

8. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Alright, I pack the pipe last night while I was out of town to a bike rally, I lit the pipe and smoked in it after dinner, it still has a bit of heat given off but I believe it's due to the lack of cake build up. It is a smaller pipe and still haven't been properly broken in, just hated the look if blistering finish.

I got the tip in the mineral oil from puff forums and pipe magazine forums. So at least I hope I don't look like a total fool in trying the oil.

Gunslinger,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.