Reflection, my First Order

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Before Wednesday, I had been smoking a beautiful (but cheap) churchwarden and a 100g tin of FM for two months, I loved it so
    two days ago came: :thu2:

Pouches of PA and Sir Walter,
    2 cobs: country gentleman and a Legend
    50g Presbyterian
    50g Frog Morton across the pond

---
    First: Thanks guys for warning me against buying the mini cob! There is no way I would have liked it, I find that the legend's bowl is small enough.

Woa! Can any of you who don't like Presby tell me why? I found my sample of the tin today to be extremely enjoyable. In a way I'm a bit dissapointed: I'm not supposed to find the perfect blend so soon! But I won't be stopping here and maybe you guys can suggest an English blend comparable to try next time?

FM across the pond is.. oddly.. also perfect for me, though in a different way. It is very mild and sweet. I noticed a strange sensation before relights: when the tobacco stops burning a sweet tastes hits the tongue for a few more puffs, which makes 5+ relights per bowl enjoyable.

I have discovered that I am not a Burley man. Both PA and Sir Walter made me cough, tastes to me like... wheat maybe? And that night I had trouble sleeping becase the aftertaste was in my throat, lungs (though I don't deliberately inhale), and mouth too strongly. But I'm glad I tried it and I'll keep at it in hopes I change my mind! I'd love to appreciate them.

Finally, though I love my cobs, especially the gentleman, Churchwardens are for me. They keep the smoke away from the face, so breathing fresh air doesn't require effort, and I prefer to hold my pipe rather than clench it anyway.

So, do you guys have any thoughts?
    :byg:

user3221 likes this.
  2. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

smoke your PA in the morning out of that cob then get back to me :p:

Jimmy Bukowski and Tyler Lad like this.
  3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Tyler, sounds like you did well.

(Glad we were able to steer you away from the minis.)

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

My thoughts? You did well, you found out a little about your preferences (but don't give up on the burleys, you may well find you like them later on), and you stayed within a reasonable budget.

If you like the cobs but prefer churchwardens, perhaps consider a churchwarden forever stem. It would be an investment, but a fairly small one. It's a stem to replace the cheap plastic stem they put on the cobs.
    http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html
    24 dollars will turn either the legend or the gentleman into a churchwarden pipe. If you think that's worth it, then maybe consider the upgrade.

As for tobacco, I like Presbyterian mixture a lot, too. If you're looking for something along similar lines, perhaps try Rattray's Red Rapparee which is another medium bodied English blend heavy on the Orientals but very light on the latakia. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe isn't bad, either, but of the three is probably the most mild.

It sounds like you enjoy latakia and oriental tobaccos in general, so if you get a chance I recommend picking up a little Margate by Esoterica Tobacciana sometime. It's fairly full bodied, but it's a shockingly well balanced blend of oriental and latakia tobaccos with no Virginia. Very nice stuff.

Enjoy what you got, though, it sounds like you're doing everything right

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. Let us know how it goes. Enjoy!:th1:

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  6. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks guys ;]

Woa that's pretty awesome! Hmm.. do you know if the stem is interchangeable between pipes. My legend is straight and my gentleman bent (both filtered stems). I'll look it up, but would you say that one forever churchwarden stem can fit both? If not, I might just buy another, separate churchwarden pipe instead.

And thanks Nesta for the suggestion! I might go for Rattray's Red Rapparee, it looks great, but I need to give myself a few months before I think about buying more... this hobby is a little too addicting.
    :shead:

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yes, I have one forever stem and four cobs. I keep the stem on one special legend, but it fits the other three just as well, so if I wanted to I could use it on any of the others :)

There are some exceptions I think...I think the unfiltered cobs take a different size stem than the filtered cobs. But CGs and legends are both filtered cobs, so it should work.

On an editorial note, I don't think that the forever stem substantially improves the smoking quality of my cobs. In fact, I think the more restricted draw actually makes it, while less prone to bite, more prone to gurgle, which ordinarily is a non-issue with MMs. That said, I like it better WITH the FS than without it. If the big thing for you is wanting another churchwarden, then paying 24 bucks for the stem, <10 bucks for the cob, you're getting a second churchwarden, which ought to smoke just fine, for about thirty dollars. Because you can smoke either of the cobs with the churchwarden stem, you'd effectively end up with three churchwardens as a s result.

8. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks Nesta. :]
    That's real good to hear.
    Is your legend or any of the other 3 cobs originally straight-stemed? Do you think that a bowl not meant for a curved stem might spill tobacco or have other problems?

I don't mind risk of a gurgle. I actually used a stinger on my churchwarden for the first month. It helped me learn how to take cool draws and made me keep it clean. So as far as risk of gurgle goes: bring it on! :P

9. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

The change in draw with the forever stem is a matter of personal taste. I have one on a bent General and another on a straight Great Dane Egg and I actually prefer the way that it changes the draw, and I've had no problem with gurgle.

On another note, Nesta recommended Rattray's Red Rappree to you earlier. I happen to have some coming in an order next week. If you'd like to try some, PM me your address and I'll send you a taste. I used to smoke a lot of Rattray's blends sometime ago. Haven't had any for a long time and I'm looking forward to having some around again.

10. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks, I would really like a taste!
    Only thing is.. I'm afraid I'd like it too much and be unable to resist buying more. :]
    So maybe I better not, hheh.

On an update:
    I really enjoy Prince Albert now! I tried it once more, and I have to be in the mood for it, it's not a morning or evening smoke, but it tastes great after you get used to it.

11. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Hello
    Well let me introduce you to a fella who makes long stem pipes
    not great for clenching because the pipe bowls are made of pipestone

:th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.