Rehydrating pipe tobacco works!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ocipio, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

There is only one place within 50 miles of me that seems to sell Virginias. Everyone always has aromatic blends, but they aren't my thing. Anyways, he had a bulk jar of Virginia. Hey, it was $2.29/ounce. I picked 4oz up. I was looking for something to smoke during the day, to save my good stuff for more relaxed times.

This tobacco smokes way too hot, burning my tongue and making me unable to hold the bowl of my pipe. There was also not much flavor, and coupling that with a hot bowl and burnt tongue, also no enjoyment. I looked online to see why my tobacco was doing this. Seems everyone was saying the dryer to tobacco, the hotter it smokes.

I dumped my dry, crumbly, and brittle tobacco into a ceramic bowl. I let the kitchen faucet run water til it was as hot as it would get. After soaking a paper towl with the hot water, squeezing out the excess, i laid it over the bowl and put saran wrap over top. I then put a rubber band around the edge, just to make sure the saran wrap and paper towl stayed on (damn cats). This was done at about 10:00pm.

The next morning at around 8:30am, I noticed the paper towl completely dry. I took the rubber band, saran wrap, and paper towl off the bowl instantly giving me a huge waft of sweet virginia smell. I felt and squeezed the tobacco--perfect! It stuck together, slowly expanding and falling apart.

I loaded my pipe and went to the porch. Wow, what a difference. A nice cool smoke with much more Virginia sweet flavor. My pipe only gets slightly warm now.

What a great reward! I am so happy it worked.

Just thought I'd share my tip and experience with you all. While I slept, I changed an almost worthless tobacco into something worth buying!

Old Codger, Trauma, Hawkwood and 2 others like this.
  2. Nate

Nate Member

Very cool ocipio!! I have had great success with it as well. You can also use a 'tupperware' container with a snap-lid if you can't find a rubber band ;) Glad it worked for you and you are reaping the benefits!

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Yes it does and I am glad you were able to salvage that Virginia and enjoy a bowl! :th1:

4. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Member

5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

If you live in a high humidity area, such as myself, you can put it outdoors for a while and get as much re-hyration as needed.

Mington and Hawkwood like this.
  6. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Seems that I have to do this with every pouch of SWR I encounter, re-hydrating it sure makes it burn cooler. The saran wrap is a great idea, I'm going to try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

IrishRover likes this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's exactly what I do and it works great. Saran wrap and a paper towel.. although some folks use distilled water, I use tap for now.
    I have to agree with Trauma.. every pack of SWR I've purchased needs rehydrating....

Mington likes this.
  8. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

I have had great results using Tuppaware and a jar of Cigar Humidor Beads. these will hold 60-70% RH. One or two days in there and it's perfect.

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Where ever you are getting this old, dried out SWR they will eventually have to reorder to replenish stock, a fresh pouch is just around the corner! :D

Trauma likes this.
  10. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

There is only one place within 50 miles of me that seems to sell Virginias. Everyone always has aromatic blends, but they aren't my thing. Anyways, he had a bulk jar of Virginia. Hey, it was $2.29/ounce. I picked 4oz up. I was looking for something to smoke during the day, to save my good stuff for more relaxed times.

This tobacco smokes way too hot, burning my tongue and making me unable to hold the bowl of my pipe. There was also not much flavor, and coupling that with a hot bowl and burnt tongue, also
    no enjoyment. I looked online to see why my tobacco was doing this. Seems everyone was saying the dryer to tobacco, the hotter it smokes.

Virginias naturally have a high sugar content. The higher the sugar content, the warmer the smoke. It's why English blends & the like tend to smoke cooler, because the Va's are cut & there's other stuff in the bowl besides Va's. These ya gotta take your time with. When the pipe gets too warm, set it down & come back to it. Maybe run a cleaner through it. Give it a 5 minute rest. It's not going anywhere. Perfect time to refill your drink, use the rest room, wash your hands, especially if you're smoking a meerschaum.

I dumped my dry, crumbly, and brittle tobacco into a ceramic bowl. I let the kitchen faucet run water til it was as hot as it would get. After soaking a paper towl with the hot water, squeezing out the excess, i laid it over the bowl and put saran wrap over top. I then put a rubber band around the edge, just to make sure the saran wrap and paper towl stayed on (damn cats). This was done at about 10:00pm.

Yep~ water temp doesn't matter, as long as the bowl is left in a warm place, you'll be fine. I like tupperware containers better.

The next morning at around 8:30am, I noticed the paper towl completely dry. I took the rubber band, saran wrap, and paper towl off the bowl instantly giving me a huge waft of sweet virginia smell. I felt and squeezed the tobacco--perfect! It stuck together, slowly expanding and falling apart.

Osmosis is a wonderful thing. High concentration of water to low concentration. That's how it works. Wet to dry, in that direction.

I loaded my pipe and went to the porch. Wow, what a difference. A nice cool smoke with much more Virginia sweet flavor. My pipe only gets slightly warm now.

It's prolly burning slower.

What a great reward! I am so happy it worked.

:banana::bdance::banana:

Just thought I'd share my tip and experience with you all. While I slept, I changed an almost worthless tobacco into something worth buying!
    They also have this trick on youtube.com It's a German guy or something explaining it. That's where I learned it.

IrishRover likes this.
  11. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Last year i saw in youtube.com a video about Virginia,he "bake" a tin in his kitchen to curing it.

IrishRover likes this.
  12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

If you can make it through the book review part, this is what I have done for rehydration and a type of quick humidor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.