Rehydrating some Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TheLonePipeman, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I had some Squadron Leader last night. It was the first time in a good long while I had smoked any and I noticed when loading up that the baccy was completely dried to a crisp. It made that crunchy sound that dry leaves or dead grass makes when you walk across them. I remember the tobacco being rather dry when I bought it in bulk from a B&M about 2 years ago, but not this dry. There is already some broken dust gathering at the bottom of the bag, and I don't want the rest to end up as a useless pile of dust. Are English mixtures supposed to just be a bit drier than other types of baccy? That's always been my impression but I could be wrong. I've never needed to do much rehydration before, so any tips would be appreciated. I read in another thread about placing a moist paper towel over it, or in the bag with it. What will give me the best results, and when will I know that I've got it right?

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I would place a damp paper towel in a ziploc with it and let it sit for awhile. You will know by feel when the moisture has returned.

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I've always used a piece of lettuce for re-hydrateing. The baccy pulls the moisture out but not the flavor.

4. krusty

krusty Active Member

5. user2453

user2453 Member

I rehydrated a couple tins of EMP and Nightcap last weekend. They were crispy dry. I'll attest to the wet paper towel on top of a wide jar or ziploc container with the lid on. Just wet the towel every 12 hours or so and in 1-2 days baccy is good to go.

6. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

I agree that a moist paper towel works best. Runner up is an apple slice.

7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I dumped a dried out tin in a glass bowl and covered it with a damp towel overnight, did the trick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.