1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Rehydrating some Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TheLonePipeman, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I had some Squadron Leader last night. It was the first time in a good long while I had smoked any and I noticed when loading up that the baccy was completely dried to a crisp. It made that crunchy sound that dry leaves or dead grass makes when you walk across them. I remember the tobacco being rather dry when I bought it in bulk from a B&M about 2 years ago, but not this dry. There is already some broken dust gathering at the bottom of the bag, and I don't want the rest to end up as a useless pile of dust. Are English mixtures supposed to just be a bit drier than other types of baccy? That's always been my impression but I could be wrong. I've never needed to do much rehydration before, so any tips would be appreciated. I read in another thread about placing a moist paper towel over it, or in the bag with it. What will give me the best results, and when will I know that I've got it right?

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I would place a damp paper towel in a ziploc with it and let it sit for awhile. You will know by feel when the moisture has returned.

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I've always used a piece of lettuce for re-hydrateing. The baccy pulls the moisture out but not the flavor.

4. krusty

krusty Active Member

5. user2453

user2453 Member

I rehydrated a couple tins of EMP and Nightcap last weekend. They were crispy dry. I'll attest to the wet paper towel on top of a wide jar or ziploc container with the lid on. Just wet the towel every 12 hours or so and in 1-2 days baccy is good to go.

6. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

I agree that a moist paper towel works best. Runner up is an apple slice.

7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I dumped a dried out tin in a glass bowl and covered it with a damp towel overnight, did the trick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.