1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering a True Yankee Codger

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MAINE CODGER, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Jan 20, 2013
    My Grandfather was probably a pillar of the Codger Community. He was a quiet, soft-spoken man who was very direct, extremely frugal, clever, and always practical. He raised fine cattle and owned a small trucking/ excavation business. I spent most of my early years following him around doing farm chores and on various job sites. He was also an original tobacco blender--codger style! He almost always wore a denim barn jacket with corduroy collar and big patch pockets on each side. When going out the kitchen door every morning, he would pause at the sideboard where he kept his
    pound tobacco cans and take a handful of Half & Half and another handful of Granger both of which he put into his right patch pocket. He smoked steady all day long and simply dipped his pipe into the right pocket when needing a refill. This worked well for him except that often times a secret ingredient ( gravel, grain, sawdust, hay chaff, or dried cow dung) accidentally found its way into the blend while going about his daily routine---making for a very unique blend! His pipe maintenance
    program was simple---- never used pipe cleaners, treatments, etc.--- Cleaning was accomplished with the air compressor in the shop and a special jig he made. Reaming was done by the wire brush
    on a battery terminal/ cable tool---codger style! Thanks. R.F.P.
    Atom, MakDragon, Wildcat and 11 others like this.
  2. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Feb 20, 2012
    I think I just saw my Grandpa again.
  3. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Dec 21, 2012
    That's the way it's supposed to be done. We've all been sissified with our shiny tools and snow white pipe cleaners.
    psquared, Wildcat and MAINE CODGER like this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    I think I saw Doug Erwin!
  5. craig

craig Active Member

Aug 8, 2012
    sounds like a top man :)
    MAINE CODGER likes this.
  6. esteban

esteban Active Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Nice grandpa memories.......I never knew my pipesmokin grandfather, but believe he also smoked granger, and his pipe probably helped him run a daily newspapers headaches in the 1920s and 30s outside of Chicago. He had 1 dunhill that I inherited. Hay chaff might help keep that pipe lit.......;)
    Atom likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Simple is... Simple does... :th1:
    MAINE CODGER likes this.
  8. snowman

snowman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Them were the days,Thanks for the post.
    MAINE CODGER likes this.
  9. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Jan 14, 2013
    thanks for your grandfather memories I can remember mine with a round "baccy flap tin" it seemed magic that he could open it and I couldn't (you had to squeeze the sides and the lid poped up on a spring) inside was a coil of pig tail twist (?) which he seemed to take ages over, cutting rolling and packing into his pipe, he'd sometimes cut a piece of and pop it in his mouth and chew I only tried it once !, but it gave Johnnie a good laugh.
    thanks again Main Codger - Wicker Man
  10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Jan 8, 2012
    My grandfather was nothing like all this, but there's a guy I've talked about a bit on this forum who fits that description quite well. From northern Ontario, razor sharp wit, very dry sense of humor. Flew planes for both the Canadian and American air forces. The more he made fun of you, the more you could tell he cared about you. The man is 85 years old and still kicking ass. Went and visited him a couple of months ago, and when I walked up with a (relatively) new hat on, he immediately said, "Oh, I see you could afford a fancy new hat but you still can't afford to get your damn face shaved, huh?" He said this with a pipe in his mouth while taking a break from chopping wood. At age 85. He'll probably live to be 110. He's too hard-nosed and stubborn to die. He smokes the same pipe, all day every day, loaded full of SWRA. He was my landlord when I lived up on the mountain in western NC. Best landlord I've ever had, great guy.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I think I may have bought one of his pipes...
    MAINE CODGER, psquared and jpberg like this.
  12. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Aromatic Fart

Apr 1, 2012
    Granddad was born in 1898, made it thru WW1 and settled into a small town in central WVa. We'd go over for Sunday dinner about once a month. After everyone showed up and he got his hugs, he'd take his .22 rifle, a shell, and his beagle and head to the woods. He'd show back up right before dinner. He loved us all, but being around a lot of folks unnerved him. Dad asked him why he only took one shell, "Only want one rabbit" was the answer. He usually came back with one, too. Not sure what tobacco he smoked in the pipe that seemed to always be resting on his chin. After dinner Dad and Granddad would always go out and sit on the front stoop, Dad with a cig, and Granddad with his pipe. Never heard much conversation between them. They'd just sit there, looking off into the woods. Every now and then one of them would say something and the other would nod. I couldn't wait until I could join them. We'd be in the yard playing, but my attention was on my two heros sitting there. Granddad had his last heart attack at the age of 66.
    Thanks Maine Codger for sharing your memories. It brought mine flooding back.
    Atom, Longshanks, Wildcat and 3 others like this.
  13. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Great post! Neither of my grandpas smoked a pipe that I ever saw but it reminded me of my Papa who would flip his Winston around in his mouth, putting the lit end in and blowing the smoke through the filter. He would just do it to make me laugh and have my old man shake his head in disbelief. My mom's dad would always plop his dentures out and give all us grandkids big goofy gummy smiles. Both have been gone for some years now but the memories I have of them are the best.
    Basil Meadows likes this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Jan 27, 2013
    My Pa never smoked a pipe, but Papa Jim did. He was my Nana's sister's husband. They lived next door on their truck farm which was next to my Pa's, which we lived on. It was like having two sets of grandparents. Papa Jim was a hard working farmer and county worker of German stock. (My Pa was a farmer and a town justice and drove a Hess truck at night. I don't know when either of them slept!) Papa Jim always, always had a pipe in his mouth. If memory serves right, he smoked mainly Half & Half and other OTC blends naturally. He ate corn flakes every morning, then when only milk was left in the bowl, his wife, Mahnu (child speak for Aunt Madelie) would place a piece of toast and a fried egg on the milk. His basement and Pa's basement were magical places! Oh the tools! Both farms had "sheds." Great, mouse filled, tractor filled places of adventure... and trouble for me, my brother and the cousins! I'm 48 now. Pa passed when I was 11, Papa Jim when I was 17. I miss them both to this day... everyday. No one ever had it better than I did.
  15. Atom

Atom Member

Oct 11, 2012
    If there were more men like this the world would be a better place.
    Miss my grandfather every day. Thank you for the memories and the stories.
    Wildcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.