1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Removable stem on Peterson Rocky Donegal 006

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by HenryEnglander, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

Hello there fellow Briar Friars,

This may sound like a very stupid question: Can you remove the stems on Peterson Rocky Donegals?

I have just receive mine (she is a BEAUTY!) but I am unsure whether the stem can be removed as it seems very tightly stuck on. The last thing I want to do is yank it off and break it!

Sorry, I know this may sound stupid but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Thank you,

HE

:thankyou:

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I do not have one, but they can be removed like any other pipe. It may be tight, so be careful.

3. Johnny

Johnny Member

To remove the stem you have to twist it a little bit until it loosens. Don't use too much pressure in twisting it though. If it's still too tight, try sticking it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so and try it again.

4. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

Ok I'll give that a go. It really is stuck fast! Where does it come loose: below or above the nickel strip?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

HE :thankyou:

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

The metal stays on the shank, the briar coming away from the bowl of the pipe. The stem comes out of that.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Once you get it out - rub a little beeswax on the joint before you reassemble the pipe and you'll not have that problem again. Rockies are great pipes - many happy years with yours!

Bset to all

Gerry

7. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

+1 to Gerry on the beeswax. You beat me to it!

8. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

:( I tried the freezer method but it really seems stuck fast. I've tried turning in both directions and I couldn't do it any harder without breaking it I reckon.

Is there anything else I could try? I am so disappointed because apart from that the pipe is perfect!

Thanks everyone,

HE

9. jhe888

jhe888 Member

You could try a little heat. A very little, or you could soften the stem enough to bend it. Try a hair dryer on a low or medium setting. (All of these temperature methods are taking advantage of the fact that the wood, metal, and stem will expand with temperature changes at different rates. Some combination may loosen it.)

10. Burner

Burner Member

You could fill it up and smoke it when it gets warm see if you can move the stem at all. Or that might be stupid - I don't know.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I had an old no name briar I couldn't get the stem out of till I smoked it so hot I could barley touch the bowl. I waited till I could grab on to it and gently began turning back and forth till I finally got it out. But again, this was a no name $4.00 pipe. So be careful.

FYI: If you can't get ahold of beeswax, BagBalm works good too.

12. HenryEnglander

HenryEnglander Member

I managed to get it out! :thumbsu:

I smoked another quarter bowl, let her cool then popped into the freezer for 10 minutes and voila!

Thank you so much for all the help :)

:thankyou:

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Physics applied... pure Genius! Good job! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.