replacement stem questions

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by mongo, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all,
    Today, I got in a bowl of CH in my MM cob.... and noticed that I am biting the heck out of the stem. Eventually, I'm gonna make a hole... so will need a replacement.

Am looking for something that is made to retro-fit into the MM cobs and is more durable than the stems they come with. Oh, one more thing.... I don't want it to be as expensive as buying a new pipe. Kinda defeats the purpose, unless they are super durable and can go from cob to cob.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
    Mongo

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Danish bits are available for MM's, and they're dirt cheap.
    Check Aristocob's website.

Walker Briar Works makes the Forever Stem. They cost as much as three cobs, but they last a lifetime, and are "real" stems.
    They rule.

3. mongo

mongo Active Member

I am fairly certain it is the Washington model.

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

+ 1 on the Forever Stems. Got one myself and it's a dandy.

5. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

+1 on the Forever Stems. I have a 4 Forever stems, and 6 MM cobs in total. The two that don't have Forever stems get one put on them when they get smoked, that's the great thing about forever stems, they fit all MM cobs.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Your most cost effective method is to order a handful of the Danish bits from MM or Aristocob. They are much more durable than the stock stems, but stiill inexpensive.

But the Forever stem is a wise choice.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  7. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

The Danish Bit will cost about a $1 each, but are a vast improvement over the stock stems. They leave the pipe still filtered though.

The Forever Stems have the added benefit of making the pipe unfiltered. I know some people smoke a corn cob without a filter, but I find the resulting wide open draw unacceptable.

There is also a seller on Ebay called "corncobpipes" who sells replacement stems that will convert the pipe to non-filtered. I am extremely happy with the two I ordered. They look beautiful. Their $15 each shipped.

Another option is the stem originally designed for the MM Freehand Pipe, but will also now fit any MM filtered pipe. They will run you $7.99 each at Aristocob. These also convert the pipe to non-filtered.

WyoBob likes this.
  8. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

9. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I just picked up a stem from the ebay seller 'corncobpipes'. Nice stem and stupid fast shipping. I don't think it was 48 hours from when I placed the order to it arriving in my mailbox.

[​IMG]

10. critter

critter Member

glad yours went well. just received mine AGAIN and it is still too large. bout 2 weeks shipping back and forth, at my expense and i am not happy. i am writing him before i give him bad rating

11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Huh. He seems to have great feedback. It's unfortunate that you got a bad couple of stems. Hopefully he can get it straightened out for you.

critter likes this.
  12. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

The two stems I have from the EBay seller were initially too snug too fit. It was easily fixed with some fine grade sandpaper and a couple of minutes of work.

However there are now some cobs I have where the fit is now too lose, with that stem. So I think there is some variance between different cobs. The variance could also be caused by the cob being smoked versus brand new.

ShawnP and critter like this.
  13. critter

critter Member

my bad;
    i put calipers on the stem and it was right on, so i polished it, got firm with it and it works. i have been using some replacement vulcanite stems and they must be undersized and my cobs have swollen. it is definitely not loose on any of my 14 cobs. the stem is a very good looking stem. i emailed him back and apologized. the first i got was chattered, but he made it right.

Ephraim likes this.
  14. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I know the 2 stems I received from them were to tight to fit in a smoked cob but went right into a new cob.

Shawn

Ephraim and critter like this.
  15. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

I cant afford the Forever stems, so I ordered 6 Danish stems from Aristocob for under six dollars including shipping. They're stronger than the original stems and you can fit them easily to each pipe if you have to by a little sanding. I also taught myself not to bite so hard.

Aristocob likes this.
  16. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah it has been my experience that even the MM factory replacement stems won't often fit in older, well-smoked cobs. I think with use, the shanks swell or shrink or whatever, as Critter mentioned.
    Easy fix though with an Xacto knife or sandpaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.