1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement stem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I just acquired an 1890 meer, with the end snapped off the stem. It's a nice looking pipe and I'd like to be able to replace the stem, but it has anthreaded fitting that is much smaller than modern pipes. Does anyone know of someone who will make a custom stem for it - preferably without charging the earth.
    This is the pipe, and offending stem.

Pete
    [​IMG]

2. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy Member

Floyd Norwood will fixer up for ya. About $15 if the bone screw it still good, if not probably $25. He doesnt have any amber but has some that matches well. I don't have his number handy but he has a website.

3. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Thanks RP, I'd been headed in his direction by someone else too.
    However, being the incurable fiddler that I am, I just had to try to fix it myself before calling in the pro's. I had a pipe I was unimpressed with that provided the donor stem. That was cut to length and trimmed to correct diameter before an insert was made up to match the worn threads on the pipe. I'm happy enough with how it turned out, not overly tight on the threads, but it screws on well enough - those worn, fine threads.
    Anyway, this is how it looks now. A little more polishing on the stem and it will be fine.

Pete
    [​IMG]

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Your stem job is really pretty good! Gives the shape a better overall balance than the original.

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice repair job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.