1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement Stems?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Deckard, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Are replacement stems easy to come by? I'm wondering as I frequently see nice bowls with stems missing on Ebay. Do manufacturers make replacement stems, and if so how hard is it to find one that will fit well in your pipe? Here I'm asking about large manufacturers like Savinelli and Peterson, any company that does that level of volume has to have spares, right? And how economical would they be? After all there's no point in it if the whole process would leave me spending more than for a complete pipe.

2. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

You will probably have to send it in to a shop to get a stem fitted for the pipe. It shouldn't cost too much, so if it's a decent pipe, it'd probably be worth it.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Do most B&Ms do that sort of thing, or would I have to find a specialty shop?

4. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

You'd have to ask. More than likely it's more specialized B&M's that have repair depts. on site.

Tim West does repairs and you can check out his site here

Haven't had anything repaired by him personally, but he comes highly recommended. Looks like a stem replacement is about $25 or so +shipping.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Thanks for the link, all those prices look really reasonable and I've heard good things about him as well.

Though, I wonder in the case of a military mount would any push stem work? Like those from Pimo perhaps.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Nah, they're all different... military mounts are fitted like any other stem. Possibly you could get lucky and find that 2 stems from the same model might fit one another.

A few manufacturers make "common" stems - Stanwell stems fit all their pipes, for example. But you'd be hard pressed to order a stem that fit absolutely perfectly.

But as noted, the pipe refurb/repair guys (Tim West, George Dibos, Dave Wolf) can fit a stem for like 20 bucks.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Thanks for the help guys, got all my questions answered and may have hooked me up with some bargains.

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I have used Tim on several occasions for refurb and repairs. His work is superb, and prices are IMO very reasonable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.