Replacing house blends with tins...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Hello all!

I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and new to the forum and was looking for some advise on tobaccos...I've been enjoying a couple of bulk "house blends" from my local tobacco shop but was interested in some of the tinned tobaccos as well. It's not always easy to make it down to the shop plus I've heard that the "house blends" have a way of suddenly disappearing. The two blends I enjoy the most are called "Accountant" and "Blue Note" (I'll include the shops description as well). Can anyone suggest or steer me in the right direction? I've been smoking mostly aromatics but I prefer the milder ones, don't really enjoy the overly sweet ones.

Accountant:
    "A Golden Cavendish blend with a hint of fire-cured blended in provides scintillating taste and a flavorful aroma. The nation's number one selling blend"

Blue Note:
    "Inspired by the famous Blue Note Cafe in New York City, this blend of Burley, Virginia, and the world famous Green River Black Cavendish has been expertly blended for the utmost in taste."

Thanks!

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Well, this isn't quite the information you're asking for, but I'm guessing the Blue Note your B&M carries is the Altadis blend of the same name (seen here on TR.com). There is also a Dan Tobacco blend of similar description. Both the Altadis and DT blends are readily available online (a quick check shows both at SP and P&C).

I'm decidedly less sure about the other option. Another Altadis or, quite possibly, a Stokkebye bulk blend are likely candidates. I'm guessing, perhaps, the "D-40 Vanilla" because Altadis bills it as "top selling aromatics" on their site. That might be where your B&M draws their "number one selling blend" from. That is entirely speculation, though!

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

McClelland 5100, not tinned but get a couple ozs.
    Escudo
    Solani Aged Burley Flake
    GL Pease Lagonda

They won't taste a thing like what you are smoking now but they may well open a few new doors.;) Come on over to the dark side...

JimInks likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

By the way, head over to the trading post and the FNG/FOG thread. You can get paired up with a more experienced piper to get a whole bunch of samples to try (or a generous handful depending on how much you feel like spending).

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I hesitate to recommend blends because individual's taste vary. However, if you like vanilla, I suggest Stanwell's Vanilla. It one of the least expensive tinned mixtures and it is fairly balanced between natural toabacco leaf flavor and vanilla topping/casing. Reiner's Yellow Star is rum & vanilla flavored and I like it as well. I think Dan's Blue Note is the original is the original that some other blending houses have copied. You also might like Peterson's Deluxe. If you don't like any of them, you can trade them for some other tins with me.

Morse likes this.
  6. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! I had a suspicion that they could be found elsewhere but just didn't know where to begin. I don't get to smoke very often as my wife is not a fan so it will take me some time to work through what I have on hand but I am excited to branch out and try some other blends. Sometimes I can go through 2 oz in a month and other times I will have that same 2 oz for over a year. I would like to find a good non-aromatic that I enjoy since they lend themselves to long term storage and aging better than the aromatics.

7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I guarantee you, Accountant is the shop's name for Lane 1Q, and it's enormously popular. I enjoy it myself time and again. I second Arkie's recommendation of Peterson De Luxe Mixture, also Peterson Connoisseur's Choice. McClelland makes a wonderful vanilla/maple/caramel blend called TQ which was my go-to blend for some time, and their 5100 Red Cake is marvelous. Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream is a nice, lightly flavored Virginia that tastes and smells heavenly. But perhaps my favorite aromatic to date is P&C's Brigadier Black Bull Run. Seems to be like vanilla with hints of cookie dough mixed in. Very flavorful but not too sweet, quality black and gold cavendish is used, and it's got an outstanding price - ~14.00 for an 8oz tin.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  8. Tony Malerich

There you go, that's it! The description is pretty well identical to TR.com, which is generally just lifted from the label if I'm not mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.