1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Request for Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I'd like to try a tobacco with the smallest amount of Latikia. Any info?

I'd also like someone to explain what Balkan tobacco is. I've read many different descriptions lately. What is the difference between English & Balkan tobacco?

2. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

First, go to tobaccoreviews.com They list the main contents and have thousands of tobacco reviews. A good starting place for learning what is in different varieties of toby.

If you mean English style toby with little or no Latakia, you could try McClelland's Arcadia. Samuel Gawith's Squadron leader also has only a little Latakia. I think these are both Va/Oriental blends. I think the great majority of aros have no latakia.

I too am confused about the English vs Balkan thing. I oft refer to them as English/Balkan blends because of the similarities. I'm tempted to think of them as "marketing terminology"

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

After a little bit more research, I found that English contains more Virginia, than Oriental, while Balkan has more Oriental, than Virginia.

We'll wait for more pipers to chime in.

Thanks, MacNutz!

4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Link isn't working but is that the old Greg Pease article?

I guess it's ok to categorize but I shy away from the old English vs Balkan vs Scottish debate. No real answer.

Anyway, my recommendation for a light latakia blend would be the so-called American English blends (and there I go categorizing!). Give Cornell & Diehl's "Epiphany" a try. Or any blend that is considered an American English. These types typically (but not always) are heavy on burley, midrange on virginia and light on latakia.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Middleton's Walnut! Give that a try if you’re looking for a Latakia light, in the background Americanized English blend.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Mac Baren Latakia Mixture has hardly any latakia - it's really mostly a virginia. Very tasty.

SouthBound likes this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

McClelland #14 will get ya started.

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

+1

Sent using Forum Runner

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

MacBaren's Latakia has very little latakia and it could almost be considered an aromatic because it is heavily flavored with molasses and/or some other sweetener. As the name states, McConnell's Oriental is nearly all oriental leaf with little or no Virginia or latakia. Both blends are in my rotation.

11. len smetona

len smetona Member

Skiff mixture is also a nice aero/lat mix.

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Sorry about the link. It was a good read, and yes it was by Greg Pease.

13. smokey422

smokey422 Member

The recommendation for C&D Epiphany is a good one, it is very light on the Latakia. Another one that has a small amount of Latakia, although maybe a little more than Epiphany, is C&D Morley's Best. These are both great blends that I smoke often.

Smokey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.