1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Resting a Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisD, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Hello, I know this is probably a stupid question. But is it necessary to rest a briar for 24 hours after one bowl? Of can you smoke like 6 bowls out of it during the course of a day and then give it a rest for 24 hours ?

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I would say no to the 6 bowls a day that would be a fast track to souring your pipe, you can smoke a pipe more than 1 time a day just let it rest and dry out inbetween smokes. The most ill smoke a single briar in the course of a day is twice maybe 3 times but thats pushing it for me.

3. adryazad

adryazad Member

Well i think it all depends on the humidity of where you're at, and also how wet does your tobacco smoke. There are some ways to 'quicken' or aid your briar in drying. Click this LINK

I pretty much had the same dilemma before. Having only 1 pipe, but the urge to keep smoking it. which is a big No-No. So now that i finally have 3 pipes. What i do is I smoke about 2 bowls in 1 pipe then let it dry / sit for 2 days. The pipe smells better that way too.

In fact, I once left a pipe in my car for 3 days. I forgot it was there, and when i did remember, i took it out, and MAN, the pipe smelled great.

Anyway, i noticed you have some cobs, though I've never had a chance to smoke any (don't get them around here), i believe they're a cheap way to get more pipes into your rotation. Other than that, I would say that 24 hours from the last smoke would be the minimum before you smoke it again.

Just my opinion! i stand to be corrected.

Cheers,

Adry

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think as long as you rest it thoroughly between 6 bowl marathons, you'd probably be okay. But really, if you are smoking 6 a day, you need to (1) calm down and (2) get a few more pipes!

5. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I sometimes smoke two or three bowls in the same pipe (briar) in what seems at the time to be a fairly rapid succession. I wouldn't do this every day to the same pipe or do it with tobacco that leaves a big wet spot.
    I have also smoked three bowls in the same pipe (briar) over the course of a day with no trouble.

That being said (and done) I like to rotate because it gives me a reason to own more than one pipe. :bbq:

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Yes, right now I have three cobs. I read on the MM wesite that it is not really necessary to rest a cob and you can smoke it again as soon as it is cooled down. And even if you do mess up a cob its not really that big of a deal, just grab a new one. But I suppose if it gets wet a lot it could go sour too ?

Im looking to get a couple of good briars and I don't want to mess them up. Made it down to the big B&m in our state the other day and the guy there sold me a very old vintage Dr. Grawbow and a very old but new really small Tom Thumb that my girlfriend wants to smoke. The grawbow is in really bad shape and all the finish has been stripped off the bowl and it has definetely been smoked to a crisp, but the guy strongly suggested it. I smoked one bowl out of it, and as soon as I ran a pipe cleaner through it a bunch of old gunk came out, evn though the guy said he had personally cleaned it and it was ready to go. I think the Dr. Grawbow is going in the Dr. Garbage, and it is time to pick up an actualy decent briar or two.

Humidity is a problem where I live, which is right next to the biggest lake in the world (Lake Superior). 100% humidity in the summer, and 0% hunidity in the winter, its literally both extremes depending on the season.

Looking at some Peterson system pipes, hoping that I won't ruin them. Any suggestions for newbie briar pipe selections?

7. rusty

rusty Member

I hardly have any experience with most types of pipes, as I mostly smoke a Falcon and Alco. But can I suggest you try a Falcon, as they are pretty bomb proof and cant be soured, and you can smoke them as often as you like without worry. Ideally have three bowls to rotate daily and your away.

8. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I usually smoke 4-5 bowls a day out of the same briar but then I always let it rest/dry for about 5 days before smoking it again. No problems..................with any of my pipes..... :bbq:

Your pipe will usually let you know when it's had enough.

9. Jonny

Jonny Member

Rotate your cob's if you have three of them!

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Most of my life I've smoked two ounces of pipe tobacco a week - maybe depending on the size of the bowl 4 - 6 bowls a day. I smoke one for a day at a time and clean the pipe thoroughly with whisky soaked pipe cleaners at night before putting the pipe away. I always work with a weekly set of pipes and so far I have never had one go sour with this routine.

On good bright breezt days I put my pipes outside to air and dry thoroughly - but I don't let them sit in dirsecr sunlight and this really does freshen them up. Again I personally never allow any of my pipes to build a thick cake and maybe this helps.

As Rusty says you can't go wrong with a Falcon, but I also run with cobs, briars and meers.

I think the minimum rotation anyone needs is three pipes - more is better but three will get you by!

That's my two pen'worth!!

Happy smoking

Gerry

11. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

I'm a novice myself so I can't say anithing about it myself...yet :coffee:
    But I find this Youtube clip interesting...

12. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Thanks for the advice everyone !

Falconeer, I like the idea of thoroughly cleaning every night with pipe cleaners soaked in whiskey. Do you find the whisky helps flavor the pipe? Ever tried any other types of alcohol like Everclear or really strong grain alcohols?

The youtube vid on resting was informative, but I think at least a day or two rest would be good.

I think the ideal set would be at least 3 briars and 3 cobs, for a 3 day rotation. One briar and one cob alloted for a day for three days, and then start over. Would be easy to grab both in the morning and go, while letting the other 2 cobs and 2 briars to rest. Does that sound reasonable ?

13. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I think the key is to experiment. GlassSculptor was on when he said your pipe will let you know when it's had enough. At first my initial fear about multiple smokes in a single pipe in a day wasn't really do to souring it. I was more concerned about the sustained heat damaging the wood. But since I don't suck on a pipe like someone drowning and gasping for air that's not really a big concern. Just have fun and if it starts to taste off, clean it up and let it sit. But know that letting it rest thoroughly is still the "ideal" way to treat your briar.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

No (sadly) you don't get the taste of the spirit left behind or at least I don't, but then my pipes have at least seven days out of the line until they return to action and tend to get put outdoors on bright breezy mornings to air ( but not in bright direct sunlight )

Over the years I've tried Falcon Pipe Spray, Brandy and Rum. Only reason I use whisky is it's my nightcap tipple anyway but I honestly think any kind of spirit would do the job as well,

Best to all,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.