1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Resting briars.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I smoke orientals, balkans and english in my briars. The majority of the tobaccos I chose smoke very dry. I almost never get any goo or moisture or gurgle in the bottom of my bowl. The bottom of my bowl stays dry, never wet.

Q. If my briars stay dry while I smoke do I have to rest them?
    Please advise. Thanks.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    I think pipes take in quite a bit of moisture during the smoke, even if you are not a "wet smoker" (in a sense, that's moisture that DOESN'T get absorbed). That said, if you are not finding that they either taste sour or smell at all, or if the smoking qualities are not changing, then you are resting your pipes enough, whatever that amount of time happens to be, even if it's only overnight.
  3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I would think less rest would be needed. It is hard to imagine that the smoke is completely dry, though.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I smoked a bowl of Pegasus a couple of weeks ago that was in a tin that has been open for months. It is almost crispy dry, but still tastes good. The first bowl made me want another, but I only had one pipe with me. I wait about 30 minutes for the pipe to cool and loaded a second bowl. It wasn't a bad smoke, but it wasn't as good as the first bowl either. I think a few hours in front of some cool, moving air or overnight does best IMHO.
  5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

Jan 6, 2010
    i rest my pipes like two weeks between smokes.

except the ones i smoke every day.

frankly, the ones i rest taste better regardless, but i can smoke my daily abuse guys as much as i want and it doesn't get worse as long as i scuzz em out every two to three days with a rag or something.

then again i'm the pipe-smoking equivalent of baldrick from blackadder (i cleaned a pipe once), so you may want to take advice from someone else.
  6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I sort of follow the rule of resting my briar pipes the same number of days as the number of bowls I smoke in them per day. 3 bowls=3 days rest..... and so on. Works for me.

I think my neighbor smokes the same pipe all day, every day.... but then again he smokes Borkum Riff.... not that there's anything wrong with that....:huh:

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Some of the artisan carvers recommend a week of rest time prior to smoking again. At first, I thought this is absurd! Well, I tried it and they do actually smoke better than if I'd just let it rest/dry for a day or two. This way, I know for sure that the pipe I smoke is well rested, nice and dry, and will offer the best smoke I can possibly get from that bowl.

I rest my cobs and meers but they don't need a week, I let them go for a day or two then fire 'em up again!

Best way to find out for sure and for yourself, is if you happen to score two identical pipes (like I sometimes do....... :groucho: ) and see. Smoke both the same day, and let one rest for a longer period of time than the other, then smoke both the same day again. That'll tell you if resting longer is better. Of course, the airway and quality of briar comes into play as well as the toby too. So try to make things as equal as possible if you can so you can actually have some scientific methodology to your test.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    That's a lot of thinking about not smoking.
    If it tastes bad, keep smoking and remember to let it rest longer next time.
  9. Gradog

Gradog Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I read somewhere here that wiping out the bowl with a paper towel and using a pipe cleaner after each smoke helps to cut down on the amount of wetness and sour, bitterness that can develop in a pipe. It works well for me.
  10. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I've been doing this since I saw Falconeer mention it in one of his posts. It works well for me too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.