1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Returning piper checking in.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Lovecraft, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

Hello, I have recently come back to the hobby after about a 12 year hiatus and find much has changed. First off it seems my taste in tobacco has changed. I was an aromatic guy and now I find they burn hot and bite, whereas Burley flakes burn great and don't bite. I just tried a bowl of some aromatic house blend from a local shop here in Bethesda, Maryland and have to say it tasted pretty similiar to Captain Black. Not impressed. I also picked up a tin of Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake. I have tried the Slice and liked it's burning qualities but found the flavour elusive. I'll keep trying (Only a few bowls into it). At this point I would like to ask what is a smooth burning (No bite) tobacco which leans towards chocolaty/coca/rich flavours with very strong taste. I think I tasted additives in the aromatic I purchased and I really did not like it. The Solani I purchased came highly recommended, but at the price it is not a sustainable option for me. Thanks in advance for any response and please pardon if the post is a bit confused or the nomenclature incorrect, I'm a bit of a born again noob searching for the right smoke.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Welcome aboard....

Rich smooth and literally chocolatey.... Mac Baren Honey and Chocolate. I find this stuff too sweet to bear, but those who like it like it well.

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

Thanks, I will have to check that one out.

4. David1962

David1962 Member

David, welcome to the forum... if you hit the small reply button, you are essentially quoting someone in order to respond. If you hit the "Add Reply" at the bottom of the screen, you get a fresh text box.

5. David1962

David1962 Member

I would absolutely suggest Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. It is dark and strong, and has a rich chocolate/maple taste and room note, but is not in any way sweet or aromatic-y. It is pure tobacco, and is absolutely incredible. Solani's Aged Burley Flake and Silver Flake are nice, but are not the same as the Heinrich's.

6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

Name's Nathanial, but thanks for the tip none the less.

7. CBR

CBR Member

Would have to agree totally about the Silver Flake, it's a fave of mine. The taste is rich and deep, mildly sweet and burns very well.

8. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Welcome, Lovecraft. If you are interested in trying out new blends, Rugbysh has a great newbie sampler thread going in the trading forum. When you get at least 15 posts, check it out. It's where I got my start and it helps a lot. :eek:ffhead:

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome aboard.

As you say tastes do change and then you're back in the Land of Uncertainty - especially with the ammount of different tobacco's available on the web these days.

I personally am not a chocolate fan but the guys have given some good suggestions, especially Dondi, who really does know his stuff - in fact he knows so much, that even though he's a friend there are times I consider assassinating him!!

Seriously though welcome again and hope you enjoy your time here,

Best to all

Gerry

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome Lovecraft! I second the G&H Bob's Chocolate, and SG Mayor's Chocolate. But Heinrich's is a different league........now that IS STRONG for me anyway. Are you close to a Davidus Cigars? Rockville maybe? Go get yourself some of both. They have both! Again, welcome back to the brethren!

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ouch! :bing:

13. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

Davidus is practically across the street from me. I'll have to stop in and grab those tins! Thanks to all for the suggestions and welcomes.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Lovecraft,

A little tardy, but Welcome, nonetheless! Interesting you mentioned
    going from aro's to burleys. I am making the transition over to VAs
    from aros (with moderate success). Have you tried many VAs?

dp

15. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

I have not tried the VA's, I'll put them on my list as well. How do they compare to the Aromatics?

16. Puff The Magic

That's AWSUMM! I've never been to the Rockville store. Supposedly the store up in Olney is their "Warehouse Store" so if you're by there..........bring your $$$'s or plastic! The only Davidus shops I've been to is the one onf 40-West just west of Baltimore and the new one in Annapolis.

All the Davidus stores have SG if you're looking for (esp the Olney store). How cool is that (or it could be deadly!) living across the street from a nice tobak shop! I'm jealous!

17. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

VA's don't compare straight across. They're more earthy, natural, and non-flavoured than
    aros. G.L. Pease Union Square is a huge hit with me, so maybe pick up a tin and give it a
    try. Good luck!

dp

18. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Do you want chocolate flavored or chocolate/cocoa undertones? I kinda get some subtle cocoa-ish undertones from some burleys. Maybe look at MacBaren's Burley London Blend. I enjoy that one. Pack it light and smoke it slow. I get those undertones in it.

19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Member

I tried the Bob's Chocolate Flake and it is a revelation. Fantastic flavour and a cool smoke, not a bite in sight. Are there any other flakes with as strong a flavour as this? Perhaps coffee, etc. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! Wow, wow, wow!

20. Puff The Magic

Nate, if you're "into" G&H at the moment (Bobs Choc), give their "Dark Flake" a go. I'd do the "unscented" but hey, get some of both and see if ya can't get your craving for a strong one tamed. Davidus stocks both G&H bulk mainly with some McClellands and some others but mainly G&H.

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.