Revamping TAD Order

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Spaceboy Tim, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

So a bunch of people commented on my last TAD list which was awesome. I realized that most of that list was too vitamin N heavy for me and I mainly wanted to try those because of the reviews good things I've heard. I still want to get to those eventually but I think I need to ease my way into it.

Anyway, in revising the list I ended up making two separate lists but I can only afford to get one now so I'm looking to you guys for some suggestions. Here they are:

List 1:
    Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
    Dan Milonga
    Presbyterian Mixture
    Peterson University Flake
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    McClelland Christmas Cheer 2011

List 2:
    Escudo
    Frog Morton
    GL Pease Westminster
    GL Pease Chelsea Morning
    Balkan Sasieni
    Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
    Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

I mainly broke it down this way because so that each list costs about $90 and have roughly 400g or less. I'm definitely open to hearing some list revisions but they need to stay under 400g and under 8 tins; it's not a big deal if the order goes over $90 though.

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I would go with list #2, but only because it has more of my favorites. If I were to change it, I'd scratch the Van Flake in favor of some Presbyterian Mixture, but that's just me. In the end, it's up to you.........ain't it always?:bing:

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

List one seems more aro laden, and
    list two seems more English laden.
    Switch out OGS with MacB Van flake,
    and go with list two.

4. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Do you guys know if Christmas Cheer sells out fast? It's the only one that I think I would have a harder time getting at other times of the year.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Add Presbyterian Mixture to list two. :puffy:

6. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

So... I went kind of crazy and ordered pretty much everything on both lists. Here's the final count:

Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (50g)
    Presbyterian Mixture (50g)
    Peterson University Flake (50g)
    Orlik Golden Sliced (50g)
    McClelland Christmas Cheer 2011 (100g)
    Escudo (50g)
    Frog Morton (50g)
    GL Pease Westminster (2 oz)
    GL Pease Chelsea Morning (2 oz)
    Balkan Sasieni (50g)
    Mac Baren Vanilla Flake (50g)
    Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian (100g)
    Sillem's Black (100g)

Now I need some help breaking these up into groups. I previously only had two tobaccos and 5 pipes but now that I have more tobacco than pipes I'm worried about ghosting. Can you tell me how I should split these up and which are more likely to ghost?

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

That is a gorgeous order! I would break them into groups of Lat blends, VA/VaPers, and Aro's.

That would look like:
    Lat's:
    Presby, Frog, Balkan, Vintage Syrian, and maybe Silem's Black(although there is a little casing here, I usually smoke it in my Lat pipes, it might ghost an Aro pipe)
    Va/Vaper:
    OGS, Christmas Cheer, Escudo (Uni Flake could almost go here, cased, but lightly, I've never had a problem with ghosting from it)
    Aro's:
    Sweet Vanilla, Vanilla Flake (I would try Uni Flake in this pipe too, you might like it with a little left over sweetness)

I've never tried the two GL Pease blends, but I'm sure they'd fit into one of these categories.

You'll enjoy these no matter what you smoke them in, if you don't, just let me know and I'll dispose of them for you!

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yowsa, where I live that is over four hundred dollars of tobacco, easily over four hundred. Ah hates it to pieces.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  9. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the break down. You will definitely be hearing from me if I need to dispose of any of these :)
    I checked your profile and we live in the same town! Well, actually I live in Richmond but close enough. I've got some friends who went down to the States to visit family over the holidays so I purchased all this online which they will bring back with them. Before this order I bought 50g of bulk from City Cigar and 50g of Old Dublin from RJ Clarke and that cost about $60 which I've been rationing that 100g for a year now and I just ran out. This whole order cost about $140.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Greets, good to meet you. There is a shop on Denman street, Alpha Tobacco, that has a decent if odd collection of tins ranging from $25 to $30. The cheapest I've found in Vancouver, so far. He has a lot of Sam Gawith, some Peterson, and a lot of other stuff including Presbyterian Mixture, Erinmore Flake, and even a can of PA plus the OTC usual suspects. I hit his place first every month, before heading over to City Cigar for Frog Morton and and their version of 965.

Richard, of RJ Clarke, is a great guy but he is the most expensive in town. He probably has the best quality house mixtures in town but the highest prices for every thing. There are a couple of places in Gastown I haven't checked out yet.

11. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Good to meet you too Mac! Thanks for the tips on the tobacconists around the shop. Do you have a favourite shop to go to for buying pipes?

12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Sadly no. I was looking at a Peterson bulldog at City Cigars. They wanted $169 for it. Same pipe is $103 on line. I don't expect to buy any pipes at B&M outlets. Just too expensive up here.

13. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Too bad. I really wanted to try the experience of feeling a pipe out before I bought it. At 1.5 times the price I think I'll stick with buying online.

MacNutz likes this.
  14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yeah, it's a drag not to be able to see the thing before shelling out the bucks. You can't check for flaws or see if there is stain inside the bowl, or check the airway alignment. But for me, the B&M mark up is just too big. It's a drag because I prefer to support small business people when I can afford to. I will pay ten or twelve percent more to support a family business but not fifty percent, or more. They, of course, are forced by size to do unit pricing rather than volume pricing. Meaning the prices are always higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.