1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting 5 brothers...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by hoss, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoss

hoss Member

Jun 24, 2010
    After sticking my feet in the water with pouches of SWR, Velvet, CH, PA, Walnut, Granger, 5 bros and Sugar Barrel the jury's out: i welcome most all the popular OTC's wholeheartedly to my regular rotation. It's been (mostly) a great experience running through the gambit of these.

There was, however, one initial exception: 5 brothers!

The first time i tried 5 bros, i was advised to hydrated it quite a bit before smoking. So it took a few days in a tupper-ware container with a moist paper towel draped across the top and sealed under the lid to raise the humidity to a level that i wouldn't consider too moist to be able to burn well.

Hearing of it's ghosting properties, i put it in a Yello-Bole brylon pipe and gave it a go straight. I was not at all impressed with this initial experience and wound up having to dump it about 1/2 bowl. After some thought, perhaps it didn't get along well with brylon. Still, it took some time to get up the gumption to give it another shot. The next time i tried it in a mini meer, but alas, suffered a similar result. :wtf2: I thought, "How is it this stuff has such a following???" :crazy:

This morning, however, i decided it was high time to resurrect the old mantra, "If at first you don't succeed; try, try again." This time i left it more on the dry side and worked it into a blend, using it only as a condiment. I've been thinking about doing some blending with GH and Co.'s Kendal Kentucky and this afforded me the perfect opportunity.

So, stealing part of an OTC recipe from another forum incorporating 5 bros and walnut, i changed the proportions a little and added some kentucky to the formulation. It went something like this:

50% Walnut
    30% Kentucky Kendal
    20% 5 Bros.

Now this - after 2 bowls in a cob, moving to my third in a briar and soon to be followed by a meer - is turning out to be a great smoke. "Kentucky Bronut," anyone? :jig:

My question for you all is this: at what moisture content do you normally smoke your 5 bros? It's going over much better for me on the dryer side, although it does smoke quick, as does the kentucky, due to both being shag cut. I've adjusted for this by packing it quite a bit tighter than i would a normal ribbon and it seems to be working perfectly thus far.

Opinions? :xd:
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    I smoke it straight out of the pouch right to the bottom of the bowl.:xd:
  3. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Jun 26, 2010
    The problem with Five Bros. is how do you tell when it's too dry? I think this stuff would burn under water.....
  4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009

Depends on the mood - have enjoyed it very very dry as it comes out of the pack and use it like that to break in a new pipe have also enjoyed it hydrated old style, simply placed in a pouch with a docken leaf until it feels slightly moist. Wish I'd discovered this tobacco years ago and suspected it's also make a great blending tobacco,

Best to all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.