Revisiting An Old Friend...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by craig, Apr 11, 2013.

?

your oppinion on corn cobs (missouri meerschaum)

1. love them, smoke them and them only

3.0%
  2. like them, smoke them and other pipes

97.0%
  3. tried them and never again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey guys hope your well.

So the last couple of days i have been going back to basics with an old friend.

My faithful cobs.

When i first started out its all i smoked until my 23rd birthday august just gone when i discovered falcons and never looked back, my cobs gathered dust, but even though the falcons got the attention the thought of throwing them away seemed about as sensible as using a toaster in the shower.
    So they took pride of place being displayed on my bedroom bookshelf.

Anyways couple of days ago i fancied a smoke but didnt want a long one that my falcons offer so i i pulled out one of my cobs, now after been sat a good few months, gave it a dust off and a good reeming out as the cake was a bit overgrown, loaded with carter hall and lit up.

And it was instant satisfaction. cool sweet and easy going smoke.

Carter hall and corn cobs really do go hand in hand, and for half an hour i was just transported to my own little smokey world, as the new techniques i picked up from smoking my falcons, (tamping down now and then and not dumping the ash) it worked perfectly in my cob and it was just magic.

But the thing with with cobs, is they are an everymans pipe, and for the price (i pay about seven pounds per cob) they are absolutely fantastic and i certainly would never class them as a disposable pipe.
    I bought a budget briar pipe a good number of months back, strictly for use of condor sure it looked pretty, but it was a gurgle monster, swan with moisture and wouldnt pass a falcon pipe cleaner i tried everything to get it too work and it just made it worse, that went by the way of trash a few weeks ago.
    With a corn cob they cost less but require no work what so ever, its just load light and enjoy and that i really admire, for the cost the smoking pleasure they give, they for me are right up there with my falcons.

So from now on cobs will be playing a bigger part with my falcons, i will be using them more often and enjoying what they have to offer.

Its just a bit of a shame we dont have the same variety of shapes over here in good old blighty as there is in the states.
    But its hello to an old friend and this time around there wont be a good bye.

happy smoking to you all.

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

I fit into a fourth option of your Poll. LOVE them, smoke them and other pipes.
    :toast:

3. craig

craig Active Member

thats what the like was meant to be but somehow i typed like instead of love and posted before i checked ooops.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I go through cycles. Right now I'm on a briar kick. I have three cobs in rotation, but they seem to get more milage in the warmer months.

fishnbanjo, Mark Dawson and YAPPG like this.
  5. craig

craig Active Member

snap they just seem to fit into summer so well, with a good aro in them they just absolutely sing.
    mind ive found lat blends dont really go with cobs for some reason, maybe its just me but its just something that never made me think yeah this is good

fishnbanjo, YAPPG and Johnny Dingo like this.
  6. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I have 3 "off the counter" bent mm cobs and rotate them in and out with my briars at rest. They are super and smoke great everytime. I like the way I get a better taste for the new tobacco I try in them the first time.
    Happy you like them and hope they can smooth out the rough edges of loosing the clay.
    BTW I saw you say you live in the NE of England. My old gal/best friend lives by Gateshead. Is that close to you?

fishnbanjo likes this.
  7. craig

craig Active Member

Not far at all YAPPG its about 45 mins to an hours drive from me

fishnbanjo and YAPPG like this.
  8. craig

craig Active Member

and yeah it has smoothed the edges of losing my clay, miss it like but hey thats the risk with clays as one of guys on here said "drop 'em and they dont bounce good".
    But a good ream of my other cobs and they should be good to go

fishnbanjo and YAPPG like this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Don't use them anymore.

MikeInMaine, Basil Meadows and YAPPG like this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

How can you possibly enjoy smoking dried-out vegetables?
    OT

Basil Meadows, bubbagump and YAPPG like this.
  11. craig

craig Active Member

haha, they are good ted, they give a good smoke and are robust whats not too like :D

fishnbanjo likes this.
  12. craig

craig Active Member

but dont worry tedworth the falcons wont be going the journey they are still my top smokers and will still have a good place in my smoking

fishnbanjo likes this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

In my opinion, the smoking characteristics of the cob have changed since they started kiln drying them instead of the old-fashioned way of air curing them years ago, besides, flue-cured Virginias smoke and taste much better in a well-seasoned briar pipe...:ohyh:

YAPPG and fishnbanjo like this.
  14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I smoke them mainly during the humid summer months here in the US. They smoke as good as anything else I have.

15. craig

craig Active Member

Agreed gl pease union sqaure goes amazingly in my falcon but cobs were my first smoke so ill always have a place in my rotation for them

YAPPG, fishnbanjo and Mark Dawson like this.
  16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

That's :cool: I use to be an advocate for cobs and smoked them exclusively for about ten years, but not anymore, I have moved on... enjoy!:th1:

YAPPG and fishnbanjo like this.
  17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

ROBUST? no! they soon go out of shape Craig! - I accidently sat on this one for an hour this morning.....just look how it is now!:(
    OT
    [​IMG]

18. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Sat or shat? its gone green! :laff:

fishnbanjo, Basil Meadows and Old Ted like this.
  19. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Usually have my morning smoke in one. Actually having some McCranie's Coventry in a Mod Cob right now. Never tried sitting on one...yet. I'll leave that experience to Old Ted, lol.

fishnbanjo, craig and YAPPG like this.
  20. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

They all sleep in a handmade wicker basket lined with dark blue silk by the front door with 3 different tobak's in three different pouches with the pipe cleaner I placed in them after their last smoke. Each morning when I arise I blindly make my way to the Keurig and one of them will snag my hand as I slide by the basket next to the hand rail on the stairs. A pouch magically appears in my other hand which I load while the coffee is brewing, then with the freshly brewed coffee in one hand I sip my way to the front door stopping only momentarily to light the char light. Once outside I open the mailbox door and place the coffee inside with the handle facing out then tamp the pipe and relight to enjoy my first smoke and cuppa, then back in I go for a second cuppa and to the PC to find out what you reprobates have been up to. ;)

craig and YAPPG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.