Revisiting GH

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

So i got a bit bored yesterday and decided to try out some of the blends i'd condemned to the freezer due to lack of jars in my early pipe smoking career (some might argue it's still early, but hey.. im further along ;p).

What i fished out was a tin of Ennerdale and a baggie of some bulk Dark flake scented. Now back when i tasted these i'd only smoked a pipe for a couple months and they really didn't strike my fancy. In fact i've stayed away from Gawith, hoggarth & co since.

Smoking them now though.. I kinda like them. The humongous amount of flavouring doesn't bother me that much.. it's a different flavour from the ordinary.. a bit of a break. I'm still not quite sure about them though.. smoked a few bowls and the taste doesn't seem to change much throughout the bowl.. aside from the flavouring gradually fading. That being said.. the flavour that doesn't change is quite pleasant once the topping sorta burns off.

My problem here is that i have very little left of them both. Since i didn't like either of them much at first i've given most of it away and as a result i think i have to buy some more. Before i go on a shopping spree though.. Whats the general consensus on these tobaccos? will i find more complexity in them down the road, or will they just remain a descent, but somewhat unchanging tobacco? The dark flake comes as both uncented and scented.. 15 minutes into the smoke, are they very different? Should i get both? Any other GH blends i should pick up while im at it?

</rant>

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Louisiana Flake and Bob's Square Cut are both at the very top of my list. I also love, and often reach for, Kendal Flake and Ennerdale. As far as scented vs unscented, I don't know how what to tell you. In fact, I just asked the same question of a member in the "Now Smoking" thread. Of the four I mentioned, only one comes with a scented/unscented option, Bob's Square. It's extremely flavorful in the unscented version.

Keep in mind that unscented is relative term with GH. It really means "not as scented". The only GH blend I've tried that didn't seem to have any enhancements was Balkan Mixture, and I found it to be rather boring. Lately, though, any tobacco sans Lake Sauce is kinda boring to me. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Forum Running

Jammer and dmkerr like this.
  3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I absolutely love their Lousiana Flake and Brown Bogie.

Jammer likes this.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Dark Flake Unscented is my current top smoke followed by Dark Birdseye. BBF#2 is also a fantastic smoke as well. They are busy enough for me not to get bored but not busy enough to burn me out.

Try some in small bulk orders. I am still going through their catalouge of tobacco and I like what I have had so far.

There is only one way to find out though...feed the TAD monster. Feed it.

Jammer likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My rotation includes Bob's Square Cut, Kendal Flake, Louisiana Flake, Ennerdale Flake, Best Brown #2, Kendal Kentucky, Bright & Burley and Dark Flake Scented.

I have a bit of investment in G&H. ;)

Jammer and SouthBound like this.
  6. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Hrm, right. So definitely louisiana flake :) All but one of you mentioned that.. and then basically any other blends i can get my hands on lol. Gonna have to pick up some cobs too i think.. this is gonna be a ghost-fest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.