Revor Plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Burner, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burner

Burner Member

Just had my first taste of this old codgers baccy and WOW! Opening the pouch reveals a dark bar of tobacco about 5" by 1"ish, so dark and resinous looking I felt a bit apprehensive thinking it would be a black rope "burnt meatfest" type experience. I needn't have worried, after easing some of this leafy darkness from the bar with my knife, it was very easy deal with, I loaded my little Orliks apple. A very easy light produced plenty of thick pleasing smoke. None of the meatyness I was expecting and no perfume either just good strong tobacco and not unduly harsh. Plenty of nicotine wallop but such was the richness of the smoke it seemed to be appropriate. A real treat of a smoke that just got richer and more powerful as the bowl progressed and I could taste subtle hints of what tasted like tree sap or maybe by then my tongue was delirious. Best thing was it never quite reached the point of tasting filthy or sour as some of the stronger ones can do. This meant it didn't stink up the pipe either which was nice. This isn't one I would smoke every day but would probably reserve for after a good dinner. Well worth a try!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

...and yet another 'Across the Pond' 'baccy I'd love to see stateside. Nice review, Burner, makes me wanna get a hold of some!

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'm so :withstupid: on this one!

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm fond of Revor myself as a midwinter outdoor tobacco. E.A.Carey does a direct equivalent ( the original Revor was made in the Co-op Tobacco factories ) - it's called Dark Flake No 7 - know Carey's has an American Branch. Might be worth checking.

I sent Liam a pack of this recently - he hasn't told me what he thinks of it yet!

Best as ever

Gerry

5. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I have never heard of this tobacco, now it's on my list. :)

6. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Just tried it for the first time, after buying some because of this thread (thank you), and I loved it, I don't know why, but I don't think it was that strong on nicotine.

I'm hopeless at pinpointing and describing tastes of tobacco, and I'm probably waaay off when I say I felt it had a hint of vanilla and hazelnut taste to it.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

... and an almost earthy note to it; somewhat like a stronger version of the classic American working man's tobacco Half and Half, I think.

Definitely one for smoking in the Winter or outdoors! Rhona calls it my "Farmyard Mixture!"

Happy smoking

Gerry

8. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Earthy is a good word.

I was thinking that it would be a nice christmas smoke.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just wanted to cry some more....(sigh).

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You baby... LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.