Rice Krispies in my pipe?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DanielMelange, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Hello fellow pipe smokers.

I noticed today when smoking Orlik Golden Slice (thanks Fbones24) for the first time in my pipe that it was snapping, crackling and popping. Granted I haven't had the longest of pipe smoking careers, but I have not experienced this before. Is it just the tobacco, or is there another cause, any cause for concern?

Otherwise it smoked very nice, a pretty cool and long smoke. Very enjoyable. At first I thought I might be burning through the briar, but the bowl remained luke warm to the touch throughout.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Did you pour milk in your bowl, by any chance? :beck:

I guess I'm a little nervous that it might be the bowl and not the tobacco. It only happened once to me, just before the bowl got scorched. New pipe, too.

Check the inside of the bowl. Any extraneous charring or weird cake patterns (fissure-looking things, cracks, anything?).

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It might have been tiny pockets of moisture in the tobacco. Sizzling and slight popping noises have happened in my pipe once or twice.

Mister Moo, Morse and DanielMelange like this.
  4. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Oh the milk! I knew I shouldn't have done that! But cake and milk goes so well together, or wait...was that cookies?

Checked through the cake thoroughly, no cracks, nothing at all out of the ordinary, so maybe it is like Arkie says, moisture pockets in the tobacco, would make more sense I guess. Going to try to dry it out more before smoking it next time to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys!

Old Codger likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Arkie probably just has more acute hearing that I do, but I've only heard that sizzle the one time. Hope it's just overmoist tobacco!

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Just sizzling moisture.

7. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I think you will hear this to some extent when smoking any moist tobacco. Get through half a bowl of anything and hold the pipe close to your ear. I hear faint popping/sizzling.

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Indeed, moist tobacco is probably the culprit. I've heard the sizzling popping thing a couple times but no damage to the pipes. It's a bit like burning green wood.

9. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Crazy, I was just about to make a thread to post this exact question! I've had this in both my SMS Bulldog meer and my Altinok recently. Maybee it's weather related.

10. Goat

Goat Active Member

Based on your title I thought you were going to say that your kids packed your pipe full of cereal and you were looking for a way to exercise the three little Kellogg dudes. :xd:
    Glad I was wrong.

Spillproof and DanielMelange like this.
  11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

You're supposed to remove the stems and seeds before you.................sorry, wrong forum :hp2:

12. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Well maybee Rice Krispies could be used in place of salt to de ghost a pipe or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.