1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Riviera

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nobler son, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

Just bought a new pipe on eBay. It's a restored Dr. Grabow Riviera. Vintage, near as I can tell. Non-filtered, push bit. I'd been wanting a bent bulldog for a while.

I'm pretty excited.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Yah Beauty - just the right ammount of bend to the stem to get the look of the thing spot on! Love the xdetail carving round the edge of the bowl; you never see that on a British Pipe.

Nicely restored I'd say - once again many years pleasure with it,

Best as aye

Gerry

3. Legend

Legend Member

A beauty...and you will find it a great smoker I'm willing to wager. That is a Grabow shape 83, one of the most popular they made. Only the 81's, which is a slightly bent author, are more sought after.

4. bvillepipeguy

bvillepipeguy Member

awesome find , iv become a big fan of these, plus its cool you got one with the leaf carving, i must say im jealous, very cool pipe :whistle:

5. nobler son

nobler son Member

Thanks, everyone. I can't wait for it to get here. I almost decided to wait, but I knew there was no guarantee it would still be there, and besides, it isn't putting me out that much.

6. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

I have one almost identical to that.  Very good smoker.

Jay

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Wow! Congrats, it's a great looker and will probably smoke just as good. :whistle:

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I like the look of that paneled shank! well bought!

9. nobler son

nobler son Member

And it's in. As far as look and feel, it's perfect. Look forward to seeing how it smokes.

10. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Had a chance to try it yet? Looks like a beauty and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks so. Some of the other forums I looked at seem to be filled with snobs. This place seems to be filled with regular Joes. I likee!

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm a snob. Don't say I didn't warn ya. :thumbsu:

12. nobler son

nobler son Member

You, sir, are looking at the largest association of corncob snobs on the 'net. :thumbsu:

Anywho, I have had a chance to try it. It was just a half-bowl to break it in, but it seems to smoke fine. Smokes a little warm, but I expected that: short stem, small chamber. Stayed mostly pretty sweet, too. Didn't get too bitter when I hit the heel of the bowl. Overall, I'm happy with it. I actually wish I had more bent bulldogs. I think the style suits me better than any of the others.

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That's the prime advantage of a small pipe - crisp, sweet flavor, and then it's done. No muddled bitter garbage at the bottom.

14. nobler son

nobler son Member

I always thought I'd prefer larger chambered pipes, but I like this one just fine.

Which I guess is good, as I won't be getting any "compensation" comments. :thumbsu:

15. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Y'all may be cob-snobs, but I've seen people put their noses up at cobs. And if you mentioned Grabow or any other"drug store" brands, they'd laugh you out. I bought a Kings Cross bent billiard at my tobacconist and as I paid for it they made fun! It's actually one of the best pipes I own. Small and easy to carry and clench. And because of the small bowl, it is a sweet smoker.

I'm happy to hear it is working out well! Congrats on the good addition!

16. nobler son

nobler son Member

Well, for some people it's about the image, for others it's about what you like. Sure, I could smoke a two-hundred-dollar pipe, but odds are a little Grabow will smoke just as well.

And the "cheap" pipes will surprise you. Remove the varnish from a Grabow and polish it with some carnauba wax, and it looks like any number of high-dollar pipes.

17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Speaking as the hopeless bulldog snob I am, that is a suh-WHEET looking Grabow.

I would be thinking.... Escudo, Reiner LGF, St. James Flake... stuff like that. Awaiting smoking reports.

You thinking flake pipe or not?

18. WillH

WillH Active Member

Oh ya...... that pipe is screaming ESCUDO! Nice pipe BTW.

Image? Didn't think pipesters were a vain lot! :whistle:

Will

19. nobler son

nobler son Member

I've actually mixed up a blend of Carter Hall and McClelland Red Cake to put in it.

And I just looked up Escudo. That looks damn good.

20. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Great looking (and I'll wager, smoking) pipe there....I love my bulldogs! That one looks like an RJR era piece....those older pipes are just awesome! Don't let anyone tell you it's "just" a Grabow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.