Rope advice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

So this week i got my 1st experience with rope thanks to Pipesimmo. Id like to try some more.

What should i try ? Are there any ropes made in the states ? Or is it just sg and gh that are popular?

2. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

SG and GH are the only ones I know about.

What did you try?

I'm a big fan of GH Sweet Rum Twist

David Emond likes this.
  3. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

I think the little piece of the Strang is just not enough to find out the perfect method to smoke it. You need more Strang. :beck:

What you can easily do, if you got troubles to keep it lit or if it doesn't burn nicely - prepare it like you do with a plug. Cut thin slices, cut it into cubes - the smaller the better (at least for that particular tobacco) and let it dry 30 min. Pack the pipe - enjoy. That should work.

dBear likes this.
  4. David Emond

A burley perique virginian log. Nice but i want to try other types of twists now.

dBear likes this.
  5. David Emond

Your right, you need to send me some more lol :-p i didnt have any problems smoking from the twang. I cut 2 slices off and created a ball. That filled up half of my altinok lvc bowl.

dBear likes this.
  6. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

...Alright...just don't say the A-word :beck:

dBear and David Emond like this.
  7. David Emond

Lol sorry

PipeSimmo likes this.
  8. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

9. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

10. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=5248

gahdzila likes this.
  11. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Intriguing!

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

We invented the rope here in the USA . Our ropes are mainly chewed but it wasn't always that way .. kinda like people weren't smoking Black Cavendish Aros back in the 20's . You can , no doubt smoke American Rope blends ... just make sure youre sitting down. Most of the brands that I get around here are Kentucky tobacco .The old timers smoked this stuff , they worked 16 hour days most every day of the week ... they were some tuff dudes ...kinda like the opposite of a well manicured metro sexual today . Theres quite a few brands still made and theres a good following that buy them here in North Georgia and probably the rest of the real South . Theres a bunch my B&M carries but Food Lion has the two best , imo .. Cumberland and Cave Twist . Actually , Cumberland has a sweetened version that is better yet . They are powerfull , rich and strong . SG 1792 is as far as I go and I only do that rarely .. Ogdens Walnut if perfect . This stuff is for men .. for sure

[​IMG]

PipeSimmo, dBear, Thuber88 and 3 others like this.
  13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. The Food Dog has a huge pipe tobacco and snuff selection. I'll have to look and see if my local store has that rope stuff.

14. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Man, I used to chew Days Work like it was going out of style. Actually, it was already waaaay out of style when I started. I wish I could find it here in the city. I only knew one old timer that sold it in his little country store. I always felt like Clint Eastwood when I cut a piece off and slid it in my mouth.

ruffinogold and Thuber88 like this.
  15. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Did you spit on some metro-sexuals white suit and ask, "How's it work on stains?"

Outlaw Josie Wales is one of my favorite movies. Ever. It's just that good.

I reckon so.

16. Morse

Morse Active Member

[quote="ruffinogold, post: 548407, member: 136"

[​IMG][/quote]

Ruff that is a great shot

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ruff that is a great shot[/quote]

That's nothing compared to the B&M here ... they have rows of the stuff

Morse likes this.
  18. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I miss east Texas... it's soo much more like deep south B&M's and just generally. A ton more "old school" baccy that the Dr. Harley-Davidson set wouldn't set their eyes on.

Call me a redneck; don't care... I just like my baccy in whatever way anybody feels they think it can sell: rope, plug, snuff, chew, flake, etc etc. Revenuers be d@mned.

dBear likes this.
  19. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

FWIW the Cotton Boll tastes to me much more like an air-cured burley than fire cured. Also. it arrives extremely dry and really benefits nicely from a little home-style flavouring & hydration - I usually go with a dark rum, but whisky or brandy work well too. :th1:

20. Dubble Bubble

Dubble Bubble Member

I have a real fancy for air and fire cured twists. Chewing and some times smoking. Makes Five Brothers seem like a metrosexual smoke. I moisturize it to make it smokeable. My favorite is Futurity which says "A mild burley twist" on the carton. It's about as mild as drinking Tabasco sauce straight out of the bottle. I'm getting kind of low on it but I have to order it online and it's not cheap. Sliced in coins it really ramps up my PS pipe cut tobacco.

BriarRabbit and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.