Ropes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WVDAVE, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

I was wondering what rope would be good to start with? I don't want any heavy hitters to start with. I'm looking for a good starting point.

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Personally I like neeither, but the black ones are "smoked" which gets rid of some of the nicotine if i'm not mistaken.

Monkey likes this.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

IME, all ropes are heavy hitters.

Get some GH Black Irish X and pack a quarter bowl.

Rodfather and Ol Brokedik like this.
  4. OldSouled65

SG Black XX is okay in my book, but it could be fantastic for you.

5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

GH is definitely milder in flavor. I have them both, but I have a pound of the GH and plan to get two more next year. It's a great cool strong smoke.

I do not plan to get more SG Black XX. Just my 2¢…

I even bought a tiny $15 briar from P&C to smoke it in and only pack it 3/4 of the way.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  6. OldSouled65

I've tried a couple ropes and they're not for me. But I figured I'd throw my small amount of knowledge in there, couldn't hurt.

7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Differing opinions are extremely helpful when talking about tobacco. My taste is to dark fired Virginias and latakia (and cherry aromatics....ssshhhhhh) so Black Irish X is in my wheelhouse. I am biased towards it.

I have tried the maple twist as well. It is a brown rope...but once I went black I never went back. i still need to try the cherry twist.

Bradabelko4 likes this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

A quarter bowl? Is this stuff as powerful as it looks?

9. hansel

hansel Member

the brown rope is high in nic for sure. its not a in depth smoke. its just straight forward nicotine and smoke flavor. ive been addicted to nicotine for like 14 years or so and a bowl of this stuff makes me feel pretty euphoric.

i like the black rope alot. it also doesnt have a real in depth flavor but it has a nice heavy mouth feel, and taste like burning steak, but conter to intuition it is way lighter in nicoteen an tar as the brown due to the smokeing as stated by oldsould66.

and its great for a once in awhile smoke, u definitely want to have a pipe dedicated to this blend.

10. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I have some brown #4 and like to blend it with FVF to make extra strength Va flake.

11. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

The first time.

For me this is great in my tiny briar that smokes for about 15-20 minutes with this stuff. A ribbon or shag cut in that pipe lasts less than 10 minutes. It is tiny.

It smokes long like a flake and cool. I get less steak flavor from the GH rope.

It is in my top five...so don't try it so I can always get more ;-)

12. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

First rope? I would recommend GH Sliced Black Twist. It is rope tobacco that has already been sliced up...so it's easier to prep. As mentioned, ropes are quite strong, but the black ropes are a little milder in nicotine than the brown ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.