Rubbed Dunhill FLake and Loved it!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gcharb, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcharb

gcharb Member

Just an interesting observation. Last night I was breaking in a new Jake Hackert which by many a pipers definition is not a classic flake shape, it sports a 7/8" ID bowl of average depth. I only wanted to smoke about a third of a bowl or so and had a hankering for some Dunhill Flake. I pretty much rubbed it out, balled it up and stuffed it in towards the bottom of the bowl. I have previously been pretty devoted to the fold and stuff with this and all flakes in a more narrow and tall bowl (I've only been at it less than a year). I must say that this was the best and sweetest flavor that I have ever gotten out of this flake. Not to mention a very easy and consistent burn all the way down. I guess I was surprised by my excellent results from what I understand to be less than conventional flake smoking technique. By the way, why do you all call this stuff GAF? :)

Cheers,

Gregg

Mark w4mms and Kiowapipe like this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Of all the flakes I smoke, quite honestly I prefer many of them rubbed out. Dunhill Flake is one of them. Sometimes rubbing out tones down excessive something or other (in GAF, it tones down the sweetness a bit - for me).

I always smoke all new flakes both ways to see which way I like it best.

I can't recall what GAF stands for - it's a PSF exclusive.

3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I've never rubbed out the GAF flakes (gorilla as*crack flake, so good that even if it were called GAF you'd still smoke it) I'll have to give that a shot.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd have to say that folding and stuffing usually brings out stronger flavors, but I don't always want that with certain blends. Some of them need toning down. So rubbing out really changes the flavor. It's always a good idea to try a flake both ways.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Dunhill Flake is one I also prefer rubbed out.:puffy:

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I fold and stuff GAF, and most of my flakes, maybe I'll try rubbing some out when I get some more.

7. gcharb

gcharb Member

Yes, I am finding it very interesting tasting the difference between rubbed out and minimal intervention/fold and stuff. There are certainly pro and cons to each approach. Moisture content is playing a big role for me as well.

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Rub-a-dub-dub! That is the way I like it.:)

9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I rub it out pretty fully. I normally lightly rub most flakes but I find GAF works best rubbed well.

10. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I noticed it burned much more evenly and cooler.

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I think it works well both ways, but one advantage of rubbing out the GAF flakes is that you can let them air dry a little better prior to packing. GAF usually gets rubbed out for me, but FVF is a fold and stuffer in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.