1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Rubbed Dunhill FLake and Loved it!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gcharb, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcharb

gcharb Member

Just an interesting observation. Last night I was breaking in a new Jake Hackert which by many a pipers definition is not a classic flake shape, it sports a 7/8" ID bowl of average depth. I only wanted to smoke about a third of a bowl or so and had a hankering for some Dunhill Flake. I pretty much rubbed it out, balled it up and stuffed it in towards the bottom of the bowl. I have previously been pretty devoted to the fold and stuff with this and all flakes in a more narrow and tall bowl (I've only been at it less than a year). I must say that this was the best and sweetest flavor that I have ever gotten out of this flake. Not to mention a very easy and consistent burn all the way down. I guess I was surprised by my excellent results from what I understand to be less than conventional flake smoking technique. By the way, why do you all call this stuff GAF? :)

Cheers,

Gregg

Mark w4mms and Kiowapipe like this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Of all the flakes I smoke, quite honestly I prefer many of them rubbed out. Dunhill Flake is one of them. Sometimes rubbing out tones down excessive something or other (in GAF, it tones down the sweetness a bit - for me).

I always smoke all new flakes both ways to see which way I like it best.

I can't recall what GAF stands for - it's a PSF exclusive.

3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've never rubbed out the GAF flakes (gorilla as*crack flake, so good that even if it were called GAF you'd still smoke it) I'll have to give that a shot.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd have to say that folding and stuffing usually brings out stronger flavors, but I don't always want that with certain blends. Some of them need toning down. So rubbing out really changes the flavor. It's always a good idea to try a flake both ways.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Dunhill Flake is one I also prefer rubbed out.:puffy:

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I fold and stuff GAF, and most of my flakes, maybe I'll try rubbing some out when I get some more.

7. gcharb

gcharb Member

Yes, I am finding it very interesting tasting the difference between rubbed out and minimal intervention/fold and stuff. There are certainly pro and cons to each approach. Moisture content is playing a big role for me as well.

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Rub-a-dub-dub! That is the way I like it.:)

9. buistd

buistd Active Member

I rub it out pretty fully. I normally lightly rub most flakes but I find GAF works best rubbed well.

10. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I noticed it burned much more evenly and cooler.

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I think it works well both ways, but one advantage of rubbing out the GAF flakes is that you can let them air dry a little better prior to packing. GAF usually gets rubbed out for me, but FVF is a fold and stuffer in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.