1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Running In?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SouthBound, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I just got a new Brebbia, and there was a nice little instruction manual in the box. The break in procedure was explained as follows:

RUNNING IN
    Please always smoke a pipe with short gentle puffs to enjoy the smoke taste in your mouth. If you cannot hold the bowl of your pipe for more than ten seconds without burning your hands, you are also burning your pipe because you are overheating it (your puffs are too long and too frequent).
    This observation is fundamental if your pipe is to last a long time, but is essential until he cake inside the bowl has formed enough to protect the briar wood from the direct fire. The cake should therefore be left and not scraped away. It must however be trimmed away to 2 mm, because if it is too thick, when it heats up it could crack the bowl.
    Please never forget that although briar wood is resistant to fire it is still wood. Consequently if you do not run your pipe in or you overheat it you could burn it.

All punctuation and syntax is rendered exactly as it appears in the manual. It seems like a little is lost in translation. I guess "running in" is a Europianization of "breaking in". What are your thoughts?

Preacher1611 likes this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think you're correct, it probably means what you or I may call "breaking in" which, if you think about it, doesn't make any more sense - it's just more familiar phrasing.

SouthBound likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've never heard the breaking-in processdescribed like that but it's actually fairly accurate.

SouthBound likes this.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

My guess is that it's more like a literal translation from Italian. Though manufacturers usually take care to translate instructions coherently into the language of the destination country, the people who do the translation usually speak it (English in this case) as a second language and are often not aware of the idioms used by the native speakers of that language in that country. "Breaking in" is such an idiom, and probably sounds horribly destructive to someone who isn't familiar with everyday spoken English.

Preacher1611, Lestrade and SouthBound like this.
  5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

"short gentle puffs.." sure ok but can I have a gulp once in awhile?

SouthBound likes this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

"Smoke slowly and as cool as possible".:puffy:

Preacher1611 and SouthBound like this.
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yeah, English as a second language is a given for this translator.
    I wonder ....... if I offered my services as an editor, could I get a few free pipes out of the deal? This is a really sweet smoking little baby.

Sent using Forum Runner

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....."short gentle puffs" - a couple rented the house next door once!...real nice guys! :D
    ( probably understood by Brits! );)
    OT

el guero and HCraven like this.
  9. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I take it your not on the Isle of Man then, unless that law has changed.

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

:laff:

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I do not see a problem with these instructions they are instructions for breaking in a new pipe. :doh:

12. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I'm in agreement with everybody else on this one, running in, breaking in, both the same thing. I do like how it comes with instructions though, it would be very helpful to someone just learning to smoke a pipe. :puffy:

13. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

"Running In" is often used in regards to "Breaking in" machinery. For instance, machines I operated in the Navy, had certain procedures and limitations to be followed during the initial "Run In Period".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.