Rust in tins

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BriarAnnie, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriarAnnie

BriarAnnie Member

Had a few tins open maybe a month, and now theres rust spots in them. Tins were definitely sealed when I got them (they popped), but now im worried about the tobacco? I removed the tobacco and mason jarred it and kept the tins aside. Is the stuff still ok to smoke. This happened in 2 SG tins.

Thanks for your responses,
    Anne

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That happens quite frequently on metal tins like those that SG uses. It's no big deal and doesn't affect the tobacco, but you were wise to put it in jars.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

4. ddandb

ddandb Member

Thet're no good. Send them to me for proper disposable.

5. BriarAnnie

BriarAnnie Member

:-p Nice try

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have not seen this on my Tins? Just curious? Any particular brand, or different ones? Beale.

7. BriarAnnie

BriarAnnie Member

So far in two of the Sam Gawith tins I have, very bad rust spots started to form.

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the heads up!! Beale.

9. Iain

Iain Active Member

I'd hazard a guess that this wouldn't happen whilst the tins are still sealed, but once you pop the top and the air gets in and combines with the moisture in the tobacco (especially a particularly moist one like an SG blend) that’s when rust is gonna start to form.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I just opened up a tin of Black Vanilla Cavendish (Planta) and was horrified to find the leaf just dropped in the metal tin. No liner (paper/plastic baggie) or even a liner coating (usually PTFE, or what's used to coat the inside of C&D/GLP/food grade cans). What triggered the alarm was the leaf that came in direct contact with the tin bottom & wall left oxidation marks on the metal tin. The leaf was covered with the paper disk like most round flat tins but there was no "cupcake" paper liner for the tobacco. The leaf smelled, looked, and smoked fine but the oxidation on the tin turned me off. Glad the leaf was not harmed. The tin is "recycled".

That's a mystery that you'll always have if you keep your leaf in tins. You'll never know what it's doing in there until you open it up. Hopefully your leaf is ok and un-tainted. It more than likely is ok. I've had SG, Davidoff, and a few other blenders tins with rust on the outside or inside or both. In all cases where I did find rust in the tin, the leaf was as good as I'd expected from the same leaf if no rust was found. If the rust is on the outside, wipe it off and see if there is any evidence of "pitting" or little holes or "dots" after you've cleaned the rust off. A magnifying lens helps. If you do see any, it may be best to open it up and get it in a jar.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.