rust inside of tins ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by deertracker, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deertracker

deertracker Member

i recently opened a tin of SG christmas mixture 2007 and there was a good deal of rust is this normal ?

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

shouldn't be for that young of a tin.
    Was it sealed properly?

dp

3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I bought a tin of Squadron Leader that seemed rusty. Whether it was rust or just old, thick, adherent tobacco staining, I don't know. It was a good smoke. I just cleaned out an old can of tobacco yesterday and the ribbons clung to the bottom like barnacles under my dottle spoon. I didn't see any ferrous oxide but these were thick accretions viewed through a dark hole. I don't think a quality can would rust under normal circumstances. Make sure it's rust. Probably no worries either way.

4. old pipe guy

old pipe guy Member

the older SG tins had a rust problem that's for sure best to keep an eye on your SG tins can't say about the newer tins as I haven't purchased any in quite awhile,I believe they rust because SG tins their baccy on the wet side and it always seemed they rusted from the inside in fact I have a pic of a badly rusted tin of SG it's to bad i'm a pc dum dum or I would post it to show you guys what possibly could happen to your Sg tins.I hope the newer tins are better.

5. deertracker

deertracker Member

I just opened another tin of SG its squadron leader that a friend gave he said its about 3 years old and it had a good deal of rust as well.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's not only SG. I've got some Ashton stuff from the late 90's that started rusting after a couple of years. They look pretty scary now, but I'm not concerned about the condition of the tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.