1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

rust inside of tins ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by deertracker, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deertracker

deertracker Member

i recently opened a tin of SG christmas mixture 2007 and there was a good deal of rust is this normal ?

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

shouldn't be for that young of a tin.
    Was it sealed properly?

dp

3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I bought a tin of Squadron Leader that seemed rusty. Whether it was rust or just old, thick, adherent tobacco staining, I don't know. It was a good smoke. I just cleaned out an old can of tobacco yesterday and the ribbons clung to the bottom like barnacles under my dottle spoon. I didn't see any ferrous oxide but these were thick accretions viewed through a dark hole. I don't think a quality can would rust under normal circumstances. Make sure it's rust. Probably no worries either way.

4. old pipe guy

old pipe guy Member

the older SG tins had a rust problem that's for sure best to keep an eye on your SG tins can't say about the newer tins as I haven't purchased any in quite awhile,I believe they rust because SG tins their baccy on the wet side and it always seemed they rusted from the inside in fact I have a pic of a badly rusted tin of SG it's to bad i'm a pc dum dum or I would post it to show you guys what possibly could happen to your Sg tins.I hope the newer tins are better.

5. deertracker

deertracker Member

I just opened another tin of SG its squadron leader that a friend gave he said its about 3 years old and it had a good deal of rust as well.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's not only SG. I've got some Ashton stuff from the late 90's that started rusting after a couple of years. They look pretty scary now, but I'm not concerned about the condition of the tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.