1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust On Sealed Tins

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Rugbysh9, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

This one goes out to any and everyone! I stopped by the B&M this morning on my way to the office. As per ususal I get to root through old stock as the store is in the process of redoing diplays, etc...I came across 4 sealed tins of Tordenskjold Virginia Slices in addition to several tins of HOW blends. Normally my wallet would have jupmed however I held off as there is some serious rust on the outside of the tins. I attribute this to fact that the entire store is a large humidor.

My question to all y'all is do you think the tobacco inside the tins has been affected / warped by the rust. If not should I jump on this on my way home tonight?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

the exterior conditions are different enough from the interior conditions that unless its rusted all the way through and you can see tobacco, the humidity of the shop isnt going to matter. as for the insides? who knows, and who cares. rust won't kill you and unless you chip it out and dust your tobacco with it it'll probably be held off by the wax paper that they put between the tobacco and the tin to keep the rust from touching the tobacco :icon_eek:

that being said, i prefer brass tins, simply because i don't need to sweat them rusting.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

As long as the seal's OK I can't see a problem and if the price is right well....

Gerry

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've never had a problem with the tobacco from a rusty tin.

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I'd use it as bargaining leverage.

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Glenn, my "leverage" here is that I'm really good friends with the owner and he's keeping them off the shelf for me for the day. I'm sure I could get a buck or two off the tin sticker price. We'll see how this turns out.

7. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Might help!

I was recently visiting Hillsborough, NC and dropped into a local TOBACCO shops - one of those places I normally avoid because they usually carry only cigarettes, cigars, incense, paraphernalia :icon_eek:, and drug store brand pipe tobacco. This was exactly the case here, but when I asked about tinned tobacco, the gentleman went into his back room and returned with the only tin of tobacco in the store. He asked, "You mean something like this?"

It was a very sad looking tin of Peterson's Old Dublin - lot's of paint chips and rust - and the old style label. There was a $5.95 price written on the tin...but I hesitated because I just wasn't sure if the seal had held... I stared at it for a few seconds in contemplation and the gentleman said, "just take it - I can't sell it in that condition."

Well for that price you sure can't go wrong :wallbash: ... but you can certainly go right. The baccy is in excellent shape - the seal had held... and I am really enjoying the Old Dublin.

I went back the next day and gave the gentleman $5... definitly a bargain...

:)

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I went back and got 3 of the tins as the owner wanted to keep one for himself. I'm still curious what some other people's opinions are on the rust on tins debat. FWIW a friend relayed a story about 8+ year old tins of GLP blends where Mr. Pease ackgnowledged that the older tins were not "food grade" and there was a risk that the metal could rust straight through to the weed.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Minor surface corrosion or rust would not be a major problem for me and not to go off topic, but McClelland tins are by far the best tins I have ever seen for long term storage.

10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Hell, if the tobacco looked in good shape I'd smoke it if it had minor surface rust inside the tin. You are going to smoke it, not eat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.