1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Rusty tins

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by soundlzrd, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Should I worry? Two Tina of Kingfisher we showing signs of rush when I jared them up tonight. Is this normal from that style of tin?

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I haven't had the good fortune to score any Kingfisher yet, but given the tin, I would say that rust is not unusual. Assuming that there is a paper or foil wrap inside, I think you're in the clear if it hadn't thoroughly rusted and stained the wrap. I'm actually not sure how much damage it would do to the tobacco either way, but you did the right thing by jarring it up before it gets worse. Given the general shortage of Kingfisher right now, I would venture a guess and say that whoever you got it from had it for a while.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    A small amount of rust is pretty common, but I don't see the harm a larger amount could do. I think the biggest threat would be that a hole would eventually form in the tin, but you headed that off by switching containers.
  4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I have had tins with minor surface rust before but never noticed any problems with the tobacco, I guess if surface rust, rusted through the tin the tin would lose its vacuum seal and the tobacco would dry out is all, but I have never had that problem.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I've had several tins (SG FVF-SJF-BBF-SL, Kingfisher, Davidoff , and a few others) the outsides looked pristine but there was rust inside. The toby inside was all ok. The vacuum seals were still intact. The paper wrapper around the KF protects the crumble cake satisfactorily IMO but if the paper appears deteriorated (falling apart and with holes, etc.) Then i'd be concerned but usually the liner paper is just stained......and that's ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.