1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

RVW Handmade Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I finally found the right pipe for the C&D Epiphany. It's a curiously shaped freehand. All it says on the shank is;
    RVW
    Handmade Pipes

I've tried to research it, but I can't find anything on this company. Has anybody heard of RVW Handmade pipes? It was a gift given to me in the mid-1980's by the owner of my then favorite pipe shop, Tobacco Village, in the Whitehall Mall, Whitehall, PA.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's made by Randy Wiley [ I think his middle name is victor .. hence the V ]. They were the best pipes for the money in the world ! You scored :eek:hyeah:

3. RTOdhner

Thanks for the info! I googled him, and his work is absolutely beautiful. From the reviews I read, they're wonderful pipes and are great smokers. The one I have lives up to that reputation. Nice to know I have at least one masterpiece in my collection.

4. Major

Major Member

HOW ABOUT SOME PICS ? Show us the new pipe please.

5. RTOdhner

As soon as I figure out how, I will. But it's not new, I've had it since the mid-80's - and I've just learned what a gem it actually is. Man, I feel like one of those people on Antique Roadshow who find out that painting on the outhouse wall is actually an original Norman Rockwell or something.
    Unfortunately, this is one of the pipes that our maid in the Philippines tried to "clean" so she boiled the stem, which turned it a funky tan color. I rubbed it down w/olive oil, which turned the tan (oxidant from the boiling, I'm guessing) into a wonderful chocolate brown color. I've got to get it back to black, though.

6. Major

Major Member

This guy has a great stem restoration kit available and some darn good tips on the best and easiest way to do it. Olive oil aint one of em either.
    Walker Briar Works

7. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I stumbled upon this pipe on Ebay and your post rang a bell for me. This is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-VERY-RARE-...ltDomain_0&hash=item3a638d28d1#ht_1810wt_1193 Not to throw a wrench in the works but could it be this maker? It says in the description "Reiner Van Wandeir was a tier 1 master pipe maker that worked for Larsen. His pipes are super rare". I know absolutely zero about the maker but it sounds pretty good if it's true.

8. ruffinogold

Tell ya what ... I've got a few RVW ... 4 I think . One is a massive Canadian w/ a pot shaped bowl . It's so big to me that it's just shy of stupid . It's one of my best pipes by far though I dont get around to smoking it alot cause it's so damn big . I sure would like to see a picture of what ya got too . It's easy to set up a photo bucket account [ free ] and upload photos from your computer there and then just copy and paste the link . It's what I do and if I can do it ... hell , it'd take you 5 mins . Anyway , enjoy your pipe .... Randys pipe color out wonderfully !

9. ruffinogold

The guy is full of crap ... it's an RVW [ wiley ]. If the guy didnt know what an RVW is .. thats fine .. but to make up a bunch of crap like that is just crazy .... I will never buy a pipe from shinny pipes ... ever. I'll post a pic of a wiley I have w/ the same lines cut around the bowl ... and the stamping is RVW handmade . The guy is an ass . Good eye Wicklow .... now I know not to waste my time w/ shinny pipes . I;m gonna send him a message ... lol

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Absolutely. RVW was Randy's stamp on what amounted to his line of "seconds", as far as I know.

Stonewall likes this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I have asked the seller why they think it's a Rainer Von Wangler and not just an RVW by Randy Wiley.

:crazysmile:

12. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I appreciate the heads up on that, thank goodness I never purchased anything from that seller. I was looking at bulldogs on Ebay (I can't help but window shop every few days) and that one stuck out because I never heard of the maker before.

And Sas the part about "Rainer Von Wangler" :roflmao: priceless brother!

13. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I see that Ebay seller changed the description to Randy Wiley Handmade, and raised the price another $20.00, he gave no explanation for his previous description. Thanks again guys for catching that :thankyou:

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Wait, it has a "5" stamped on it? Didn't know he graded his RVWs. I tell ya, I learn somethin' new every damn day around here.

I sure hope somebody out there has been taking notes on Mr. Wiley and his pipes; I'd really like to read a book on the topic someday (especially if generously illustrated).

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.