1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

S It Normal For A New Briar Pipe To Have A Blackish Coating To The Bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisB, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Mar 27, 2013
    It almost looks as if it has been smoked. Or should it be wood color.
    AussieTX likes this.
  2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It's a pretreatment for the inside of the bowl (at least I think that's what it is) I've had a few briars with it,
    It's nothing to be concerned about, some makers do that to the inside of the bowl while others do not.
    I had heard that it was to help with the break in period, but I'm not sure about that.
    I'd break it in like a regular briar.
    boiseTim, Rodfather and inkybat like this.
  3. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Nov 24, 2012
    A lot of pipe makers an manufacturers put a carbonized coating on the bowl. This supposedly protects the bowl against burn out. It also hides small flaws that might otherwise be visible in the wood. Sometimes you can taste what ever they used to coat it, sometimes not. I have smoked pipes with this kind of coating where it was relativly tasteless and gave a pretty good first smoke.
    I do like to start with bare briar myself tho, that way you know what you are getting.
  4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Yep, sounds like your bowl is pre-carbonized. Won't hurt a thing! As mentioned, some will "flavor" the first few bowls, but it goes away quickly, and helps to start the cake.
    boiseTim, woody and dBear like this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This! I think I prefer this with new briars. I have a few that were pre-carbonized. I never noticed any negative issues with them. I think it may help with the breaking process as well.
    boiseTim and inkybat like this.
  6. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Mar 27, 2013
    My new Neerup has it. Haven't smoked it yet though.

You can get onto youtube and watch them pre-carbonize pipes. Pretty neato. Looks like a blowtorch.
    boiseTim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.