1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Sad day for my new pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TXPiper, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

So I just got done smoking my Savinelli Trevi I purchased about a month ago and noticed this when I was cleaning it:
    [​IMG]

I never pull out the stem until at least a couple hours after a smoke (usually leave it in until the next day to clean) so I don't think I did this. When I looked into the mortise, I noticed a bunch of knots/pits in the wood which is what I suspect did it. Heck, it may have been there all along and I didn't notice it because of the rustication.

Any ideas if Savinellis have a manufacturer's warranty? I emailed the tobacco shop I purchased it from (online) to see if they have any warranties as well.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Sorry to see you got a defective pipe. I'd send it back where you bought it, I'd think they would take car of this. Of course you could just contact Savinelli, I'm sure they would make it right.

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

That looks like a flaw to me. Most reputable pipe shops will either replace your pipe or work with you to deal with the manufacturer.
    Best of luck in your quest.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Are you using the balsa filters or converter tube when you smoke?

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

W here did you purchase it? I would contact them and see what they will do for you, that is not a normal wear point, someone should make that right.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Bummer!

Yeah, i'd definitely bring it up with the seller.

7. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I got one of these and it had a flaw in the bottom of the bowl. It caused a burnout. The store replaced it.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Looks like a flaw to me and it should be replaced.

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

It looks like a flaw. I hope they stand behind thier product line.

Paul

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I would hope that they'd refund or exchange.

11. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Email both the store and Sav, I'd say.

12. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

I emailed the store, they said it would be faster to contact Sav, and if I had any issues, they could facilitate. I'll contact Savinelli USA tomorrow, hopefully they are in.

Preacher1611 and Mington like this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Good luck! Keep us posted. What a shame. I am hoping for the best for you.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Savinelli's US office is in Morrisville NC. They are stand-up and will do what they can to keep you smoking a Sav if not that one....but i do believe they'll swap it out for ya. They did similar right here on PSF with a member (BradnTX?) who heard a "tink or popping" sound during smoke and found the shank popped a crack. Probably from a superficially hidden flaw and escaped QC. Hey, it's people making these, guiding machines and people QC-ing hundreds of pipes daily.....bound to miss a few especially if it needs to be smoked to become obvious.

Get on it! Send them pics.

Does smoke or juicez come from the crack?

Best wishes!

Ed
    Puff...lucky that band was there!;)

15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

That's disappointing, coming from Savinelli, but I suppose a few duds always slip through the quality control cracks. What I am fairly sure of, is Savinelli's great customer service, so hopefully you get a new one pretty soon! Best of luck!

16. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

So I contacted Savinelli, and I was less than impressed. The lady on the other end just said "mail it in, we will inspect it.". No "sorry to hear about your brand new pipe", or "although we strive for perfection, these things happen". Just "mail it in and we will make sure it wasn't you that broke it".

I may just be a little too sensitive, but after dealing with Zipp's excellent customer service, I guess I've been a bit spoiled.

I did make a note to send with the pipe that said if at all possible, I would like to try a different shape than the one that broke. I doubt they will send me the new shape, but it's worth a try, right?

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

17. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

So their email support was much better. I had sent an email as well as called in, and got my reply today. The guy on the other end was much more helpful. He gave me exact instructions, assured me that it was most likely a defect, and also told me that they would work with me on swapping out the shape since I didn't like the 111 KS!

Can't wait to try out my new 626 shaped Trevi.

18. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I am glad to hear that it's working out for you.. Sav's have a decent smoking reputation and I am glad to hear that they are working to keep the customer (you) happy..

19. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

See below. Quote did not take on this post.

20. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Is that important?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.