Sail Yellow

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sasquatch, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Sail, longtime Dutch-style Cavendish OTC found in great supply in Canada, has always born a "Royal Theodorus Neimeyer" stamping, and was made... somewhere. Holland? I dunno. But it's made in Denmark now, and the new version is pretty tasty. Slight anise flavoring on a sweet but spicey va/burley. Smoke it slow, it can bite. This is well worth the 5 bucks that most reading here will wind up paying for it. North of the 49th... well, let's just say that you'd laugh. Or cry.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this mild blend - very pipey, somehow.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

An interesting post on two fronts.

The "Royal Theodorus Neimeyer" stamp used also to be a trademark of "Holland House" tobacco which I used to rate only one up from the dreaded Clan - all sweet aroma but smoked thin and burned your tongue like nothing else on earth short of a full nuclear explosion. As you would expect with a name and maker like that it was made in Holland.

Increasingly tobacco seems to be being made in Denmark by Orlik's for everyone - for example all E.A.Carey's British flkaes and mixtures are now sourced from there and at present I'm working my way through a pack of "Players' Navy Cut which I cannot make up my mind whether it's relabelled MacBaren's Navy Flake or Orlik's. What it certainly isn't is the traditional Players Medium on Flake form as once it was - in fact it's a great improvement on the original.

Thanks for posting - will bear this in mind if I visit Denmark later this year or next Sring.

Best to all

Gerry

3. Stoked

Stoked Member

Yup, I'm a big fan of Sail Yellow. I find it very tasty and mild as well, and you're right, smoke it too fast and it has a bite. Try mixing about 25% Sail with some red cake and I think you'll be in nirvana.

As a side note, my dad used to smoke this as his main tobacco, so that's why I tried it. Unfortunately he's no longer around to share this great OTC with. At least every time I light up I think of him.

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

Gerry, I found this place to have a good price on a tub:

Sail Yellow

Perique

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Don't ever say "Clan" on this board again Gerry.

I mean it.

:xd:

I bought a 5 pack of Clan, duty free, on my way out of England, 20 years ago. What a mistake. Bleeargh.

6. Stoked

Stoked Member

I forgot to mention this earlier. I wanted to tack this on to my last post but it looks like the "edit" feature times out too quickly now. Hence, a new post. Check this link for what I believe is an unbelievable blend of red cake and Sail Yellow:

My link

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hmmm.... I can edit posts just fine. Perhaps you are despised by the Gods, Perique? Anyway, I will ramp up some sail tonight with a little red virginia and see what happens.

8. Stoked

Stoked Member

I can't wait to hear your impressions. I love this blend, I'm absolutely smitten by it. [​IMG]

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

had the same experience with the C*** tobacco back in the 70s - one of the few times in my life I've ever thrown tobacco away - have only smoked it once since then and that seriously was an alternative to smoking tea bags, and it's possible the tea bags would have been better!

Best

Gerry

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Packing a bowl of fiberglass insulation would be better. And bite less.

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

that just sounded painful levels like my irish family. rather than not smoking my aunt used to A) empty out people's cigarettes or :jig: smoke something called colts foot when she ran out of tobacco.

my grandmother kept it in the house for... treating... something. not sure what. irish folk medicine is really meant to just make you think "well, kidney stones aren't all that bad, i think i'll be alright as long as they don't give me more medicine". i got sunburn as a kid and the obvious cure was some nasty tasting plant chopped up in cheap whiskey and getting a sponge bath with rancid goats milk. HAD to be rancid. or else it wouldnt work. or something.

12. Stoked

Stoked Member

I'm wondering, do you think this could be one of those "overlooked" OTC's that is a great smoke but not too many have tried?

I like it straight, but I especially like to use it as a blender. In fact, I dare say I'm enjoying VA-Sail almost as much as VAPer. Blasphemy, I know. [​IMG]

Last night I added some Sail Y to some #22 which I found to be a rather boring smoke and bam! The Sail once again worked it's magic! [​IMG]

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dubh/Liam

We used to smoke cinamon sticks in Aberdeen for their "medicinal" properties, in the Doric they were called "Smokin' Cennies" - and what's wrong with re- rolling cigarette ends when you're desperate I ask?

Cut my smoking teeth pre-puberty on Capstan plain fag ends re- rolled in San Isal Toilet Roll - hence my liking for St,Bruno with its disinfectant like taste foir most of my life, and I've never had a lung infection!

Thanks for the post

Gerry

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The meaning of "OTC" changes entirely depending on where you live, so this is a tough question to answer. Seems to me, in the USA, Sail and Amphora are hardly mentioned, and they are both staple OTC blends in Canada. We get Captain Black in white blue and gold glory too, but we never see Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half and Half etc. Codger burley doesn't exist here. Our tobacco tradition is seemingly split between dutch cavendish (sail) and black cavendish (danish blends outright) traditions.

I think sail is decent (at least) tobacco. If it was marketed in a tin and not in a pouch, it would gain notoriety. But it is humble stuff, apparently. I'd buy this over most Peterson blends (Old Dublin excluded, but that's a whole different game).

15. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so its not just the irish. all celts are officially insane.

PS after an inquiry i found out the nasty tasting herbs in the whisky were dried rhubarb (why would you dry it?) and yarrow.

16. Stoked

Stoked Member

Good idea about the tin. If I were Orlik I'd also consider changing the red stripes on the pouch/tub to a kelly green. I'm not too crazy about their choice of sailboats either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.