1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Salt Treatment

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TxPipesmoker, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Hello all! I have a few Estates that I would like to salt treat. I have done it a few times and it worked ok. I used table salt and had decent results, but I'm wondering if it's better to use a more coarse salt like Kosher salt.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I've used both, but didn't really notice a difference. Theoretically I might guess the table salt actually works better as you'll get more contact with the bowl walls and more salt to absorb the funk.

Mark w4mms and TxPipesmoker like this.
  3. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Does the salt really do anything? I've always assumed that it's purpose was to reduce the amount of alcohol needed while keeping evaporation down and possibly absorbing some moisture out of the pipe. Since some people report using cotton balls with no ill effect, it seems like it's not there because it's salt? Inquiring minds want to know. I'd include myself in that statement, but i'm pretty mindless for the most part.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I always assumed that the salt was just a carrier for the alcohol. I have used cotton balls and wadded up paper towels and it seemed to clean the pipes just fine.

5. snowman

snowman Member

Hi Tx.
    My self I've alway's used table salt,And I give the pipe two baths.I also pour salt into the shank where alot of folks over look that part,Just make sure that when you do the last treatment that the salt will come out as clean as when you put it in.

Alan.

6. TxPipesmoker

Thanks everyone for the help.

7. Iain

Iain Active Member

I use cotton wool balls with good success, not sure why salt is usually recommended.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Ditto

9. TxPipesmoker

When using the cotton balls how much alcohol do use and for how long?

10. snowman

snowman Member

When using cotton balls,add alcohol to the top of the bowl be carefull not too over fill as it will remove stain.As the cotton balls suck up the alcohol add a little more then let it sit for 24 hours.Depending on how dirty the cotton balls are It won't hurt to do it again,let sit again for 24 hours then remove cotton balls and let the pipe air dry for a couple of days.

Alan.

11. TxPipesmoker

Thanks Alan.

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

Use an eyedropper to put the alcohol into the pipe--that way you don't make a mess!

13. TxPipesmoker

God call Jay. I used the dropper that came with the childrens advil. who would have thought my wife would have asked for it tonight. She was not real happy when she saw that it still had a bit of Scotch in it.

14. Jay

Jay Active Member

Wait for her to look for the salt too!

15. TxPipesmoker

She already did.

Kiowapipe and Jay like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.