salty / unami taste

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Hi all,

I have been really enjoying the various "if you like Dunhill EMP you'd also like..." blends recommended by fellow forum members. Lately though, I have begun to notice little sparks of savory salty / unami taste in the smoke of Dunhill EMP, Dunhill London Mixture, and Frog Morton on the Town. The taste is just like sprinkling MSG on your tongue (if you've never had straight MSG, think the salt packet in ramen noodles in your college days). Completely taken by surprise, I kept checking my tongue to make sure that I wasn't tasting blood! It is not a bad taste at all. In fact, coupled with coffee, it is almost like salty caramel.

Has anyone experienced this? What kind of tobacco is this coming from?

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I have too. Seems to come and go. It's strange.

3. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

dwaugh - did this taste occur when you've had a bit of a tongue bite? not sure whether this is caused by physiology or the tobacco...

4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I don't think I had tongue bite at the time. I found the thread were this came up before (English & Oriental smokes tasting a bit salty.). It seems that for all the people that noticed this it was somewhat transient. I do find this very fascinating though; I do think I was getting some umami flavors, but it seems to come and go....:msty: I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

5. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

After some Goolging, I found that the chemical responsible for the umami (sorry for the misspelling in my earlier post) flavor in MSG--glutamine--is also present in tobacco leaves:

http://www.jbc.org/content/113/1/157.full.pdf

Interestingly, glutamin is an ingredient in some tobacco cessation aids.

Now that I think about it, the nutty scent I detect when sniffing a bowl of lit tobacco should really be described as a umami scent (like a hot bowl of ramen).

6. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I found this taste in SG Balkan Flake. The first time I tried it I was struck with a beef jerky/leather/campfire taste.
    While that may not sound appealing in black and white, it is in fact sublime.

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Yes, noticed that. I sometimes describe it as tasting beef jerky or charred steak when I write my reviews!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.