1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Gaw Golden Glow

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fruktflugan, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Aug 25, 2010
    So... Have a couple of bowls Golden Glow under my belt (smoken rectally yes :groucho: ) and I feel that I am pretty prepared to pass judgement upon it.

My golden glow arrived as broken flake which is like a flake that has been rubbed out some but not all the way. I guess they screwed up the flakes one happy day and decided to "jes' go with it", right?

Golden glow burns well, it burns down to a gray-blueish ash and it behaves admirably in all respects.

If I was to describe the flavor I'd have to say this: If you had grown your own sweet virginia at home successfully, dried it correctly, cured it perfectly and managed to almost press it into flakes, then Golden Glow is what you'd end up with.
    Flavor: Tobacco... Tobacco flavor in a good way!

I like it some puffs, I love it some puffs and then some puffs give way to a not really matured Virginia flavor. Some raw-ness to it that I can live with and I don't actively dislike.

I wouldn't snork through an entire bowl of it, but an occasional trip up the nose is excellent with this. A great one of the few "honest" tobacco flavors. Either you seek it out or you stay away.

A true almost untouched virginia that steers clear of tasting like cigarettes... It just does NOT taste anything like cig smells.
    Just a very nice pipe tobacco that leaves a smell of that old fashioned comfort in a day and age where everything is artificial, perfumed and covered in shiny plastic to make it look more attractive.

As I said; Either you seek this out or you don't.

For me? Well, I won't buy this again soon but I will smoke what I have left occasionally.
    I like it and I don't like it. I prefer tobaccos that have something more in them (and not just perfume and petroleum oil based plastic).

Personally I say 3 stars out of 5.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Golden Glow/MVF....Same thing.
  3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010

Wow! What are you guyz doin??? I mean, "Rectally"?????

I know 'round here the saying goez "no pics, didn't happen", I'm glad you didn't post pics! :D

Yeah, I'm in agreement with ya. I won't be buying more for now, I'll smoke what I have, it's a good VA, but I'm not gonna try that "rectally" thing though! :) :cheers:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I wasn't fond of this one. My FNG brothers will
    get to sample it though. Or anyone who
    requests it via PM.

5. Jay

Jay Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Wow, FruitFly, that is a great review from the rearend, I wonder what it would be like if you smoked it out of the proper orifice?

Just kidding, thanks for the review!

6. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I am half-way through a tin, smoking it now and then. I like it. I agree with your review. It's a good, full of tobacco flavor, subtle VA that doesn't just end up smelling/tasting like cigarettes. It leaves me with a reminder of hints of cinnamon, natural VA sweetness, and feels very pleasing to the touch when I load a bowl (like a natural, quality tobacco leaf).

But I am not sure how soon I will order another tin. I think I like other lighter VA's more. I think I prefer FVF to Golden Glow/MVF, even though that surprised me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.