1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Gawith blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize if my needle is stuck in a groove here.

Has anyone any news of when (or, God forbid, if!) SG tobaccos will be back in the U.S? It's been a very long time and I've heard nothing lately, good or bad.

In an attempt to sound less whiny, I will say that I probably would not have discovered G&H tobaccos, were it not for the SG shortage. But there doesn't seem to be a good replacement for BBF, at least not that I've found.

Anyone hear anything at all?

2. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

I contacted the Sam Gawith factory about two years ago about this very issue and they assured me that more inventory was on it's way to the US. I guess we all know how true that statement was.
    I've been trying for 2.5 years to get my hands on some FVF with no success. So now I visit my one jar of cellared FVF on a weely basis and stare longinly into it's golden brown goodness and sigh.
    Unfortunatley the demand for SG products is so high that I doubt they will ever catch up the supply.

Isn't the law of supply and demand wonderful?!

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

No word here.

Have you tried G&H Brown Flake, unscented yet? I can't say they are close, since I had them at different times, but my gut reaction is that they are.

4. dmkerr

The law is wonderful because it always works! It just doesn't always work to the consumers benefit. So yeah, I see what you mean! :D

I have about 200 grams of FVF that I'd be happy to trade you if you're interested. It came from one of those 250 gram boxes and it's about 1.5 years old, but it's been mason jar'd. If this is something that interests you, let me know what you have to trade. My jar is self-marked but it's guaranteeed to be pure, 100% FVF, no added fillers or preservatives. Let me know! Happy to help out.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

No news is no news.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

dmk, what's an unopened tin of BBF
    aged since June of last year worth to you?
    :groucho:

dp

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Aged a full 8 months?? WOW.

The Fribourg and Tryer virginias are very good fwiw.

8. dmkerr

Umm... a tin of Momoyama? Rare stuff indeed! Could be yours! :eek:hyeah:

9. Snake

:roflmao:

Yes, Sas, it's a mere pittance, I know.
    With everything else opened, I haven't
    had a chance to open it yet.

dmk,

not a perique fan, but thanks
    anyway.

10. dmkerr

Sheesh, dude - if I'da known I only had one shot at this, I'da given you a list! :)

What styles do you like? I have some things with no perique... well, not a lot, not that I think about it! But my one tin of State Express London Mixture is off limits!!!! :groucho:

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

SG seems to send a shipment our way at least a couple times a year, but if you want to get in on it you really need to keep an eagle eye on the etailers.

12. dmkerr

I'm the runaway son of the nuclear A-Bomb!

Noticed your tagline - one of my fave LP's of all time. :thumb:

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

They are indeed very similar - I often alternate between the two, depending which tobacconist I make my weekly visit to, but in my opinion Sam's just has a slight edge in flavour. I can say this - as I am in the fortunate position (sorry if it sounds like gloating!) of being able to get either - and any of the others in the range over the counter each week. Silly as it seems though I like a cob of Carter Hall occasionally (had a couple of packs sent over as a trade once)....now that stuff is scarce as the proverbial rocking horse s*#t - over here LOL :eek:hyeah:
    Cheers, OT

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

If it's any consolation the supply in Scotland is equallly iffy - I was in Ayr on Moday and dropped into Dalling's with the intention of getting either FVF or Best Brown and all I could get was a tin of 1792 - reason given? Americans ex Prestwick were calling in prior to departure and scooping it up in bulk!

Best as ever

Gerry

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....damn Yankies!.. :eek:hyeah ;)

16. dmkerr

Sorry - I missed your post somehow.

I agreement with your assessment that they are close - very close, in fact. I do find the BBF to be slightly richer in flavor and with a creamier profile. But in a blind test, I do believe I'd have some trouble discerning the two. Consequently, I just bought 500 grams of the G&H, having recently discovered it and I don't miss the BBF nearly as much.

17. Burner

Burner Member

My smoking shop in preston have FVF plug and plug versions of other Gawith stuff in 250grm blocks. Mighty expensive and you can't order it by credit card to the USA but there must be other ways....

18. Snake

LOL! Not to worry, I don't give up
    that easily. My favourites are OGS,
    Capstan, and Dunhill Flake. PM me,
    if you like, with similar blends, and
    we'll work something out. Cheers

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.