Same Blend, Different Cut

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I'm currently smoking some Erinmore Flake in my new Old Ted pipe, and it has got me thinking about a question that I am sure has been thrown around on here before. I bought a pack of Erinmore Mixture not all that long ago, and offloaded it onto Polymoog as I found it unsmokeable, but the flake version is a completely different beast. Likewise with Capstan - the mixture is the worst tobacco I have ever smoked, yet the flake is a wonderful blend.

I can understand small differences between a flake and ready-rubbed version of the same blend (e.g. Condor and St Bruno), but how can the same blend in different forms be at such opposite ends of the scale?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmm.....Capstan flake - I thought it was extinct!, I bet you didn't get it in UK! - I had some around twenty years back - very nice too!, if memory serves - it was similar to OGS?...tell me where I can get some!....oh! and I don't know why there is a difference twixt flakes and mixture!:)
    OT

3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I got a tin from Bluepipe, who judging by the health warning label got it in Italy. Have you tried the Ready Rubbed? It is absolute garbage.

4. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

My guess for the difference is, the way the tobacco ages when in compact form vs when it's cut thinly.

OT, it was a small tobacconist shop either in Florence or Bologna. Italy is filled with tiny shops, and each one might have different blends, older tins forgotten at the back of the top shelf. You should put Florence on the list of vacation destinations.

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure (even though I should be, what with it being my daily smoke), but I think PA in pouch form is a different cut than PA in tub form. Its been a while since I had a pouch (I buy tubs) though...

6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

You've obviously never tried the Capstan RR. I would give you everything I own if they are made with the same leaf varieties. I'd be surprised if the RR is even made with tobacco.

SouthBound and bluepipe like this.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think the same with Erinmore - I don't think they are the same tobaccos, or the same blending house even, necessarily.

Like, if you bust up Mac Baren Mixture Flake (which is as silly a name as can be).... it's Mixture. The Flake is good, it's fine, if you like flakes. But it's clearly not wildly different from what you get in the ready-rubbed tin.

But there are a few others where you think "wow, this is really different" for whatever reason, and .... so be it. Find the one you like, I guess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.