1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Sami Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Trendsetter, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Hey ppl! Quick question. My parents have two Meerschaum pipes that they purchased while my dad was stationed in Turkey during his service in the Air Force. They were purchased 16 years ago in 1995 (perhaps even as early as 1993). My parents knowing nothing about pipes back then or now (my mom still thinks the pipes are made out of ivory) have no idea who they bought it from or how much it was/should have been worth. My only clue? The word Sami inscribed on the shank. They do appear to be hand-carved, they have screw-in lucite stems, and they are definitely meerschaum. http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/370-meerschaumjpg/
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/373-the-whole-collection/
    Here are two not-so-great pictures of one of the pipes.
    Now for my questions: Who/what is Sami? The carver? The brand?
    Is it reputable? Is it safe? Questions or comments? Please give as much info as you possibly can PSF. Thanks for everything as always!
    (Ok so it was't a quick question, it was a long description followed by several questions-oops :dunno: )

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Yo TS....
    Sami is a carver. His work is well respected, but I haven't seen any lately. He *may* be retired. These will be good pipes. They have the two piece nylon connectors which will give a somewhat restricted draw....two things you can do.

1) Get used to it. It doesn't really take a lot to adjust your smoking to meet these pipes half-way. This is what I have done, and my pipes give me great pleasure and comfort...as is.

2) Send them off to be opened up. My recommendation for this would be to contact Floyd Norwood. In my humble opinion, he's the king of meerschaum refurb and repair. His prices are reasonable and he has a quick turn-around.

3. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Awesome t-bear. Tons of gratitude. I was worried that they might not be safe because the one still tastes like aspirin after ~6 smokes. Is that normal? When will it go away?

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You really need to wipe a new (even old/new) meer bowl out with a damp paper towel and clear the stem/shank with a damp pipe cleaner before lighting up for the first time. There is always a bit of residual meer dust left inside.

That said, the taste should pass after a few more bowls. As the walls of the bowl absorb the smoke and oils of your tobacco, they will seal up. That's when you will really notice the flavor of your tobacco come to life.

Have fun with your new friends, and enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.