Samuel Gawith vs Gawith Hoggarth Co.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stonewall, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'm sure if I spent a little time comparing reviews and information available online I could find enough feedback to satisfy the question, but just for sake of conversation here on the forum, I thought I'd toss the question here.

So what are the differences between these two tobacco houses? Are they affiliated, a subsidiary? Completely non-related. And what are the major differences in their blends?

2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

SG world's best Va flakes (absolutely no peer in straight Va's), GH world's best scented tobacco and ropes. Both make excellent snuff.
    Not related. One of the Gawith's left the family to start GH with a partner in 1854.

User5642 and Stonewall like this.
  3. raf66

raf66 Member

I can't help with the historical or relational questions but I can attest that both are excellent tobacco houses. I'm more of a G&H kind of guy (my absolute favorite blender) but I love me some SG blends as well.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Samuel Gawith makes snuff I like better.

Gawith Hoggarth makes pipe tobacco I like better.

That covers it for me.

5. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I really cannot give an expert opinion on this, but of all the tobaccos I have tried, I enjoy the Gawith Hoggarth blends the best. .

Every GH blend I have tried has been exceptional and easy to smoke for this novice pipe smoker.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

They were family and someone broke off at some point and started the other . Both make a great product . G&H has a ton of Bulk stuff , that if I still had a pipe shop , I'd have on my shelves . SG makes Firedance , which I love . They both make products that you have to let sit for however long in order to smoke them . It seems neither can come to grips with the fact that in 2012 , not many of us are on sailing ships where we need a moist tobacco to last a voyage . If they would take a trip to MacBaren and have a look see at what machinery [ electrical lol ] they use and how they pack their tins ready to smoke ... then I would say these to guys , along w/ JF Germain .... were the worlds best .

7. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have only smoked GH blends from bulk orders I have made. Both BB#2 and Ennerdale flake were both perfect right out of the bag.

I have smoked FVF, Firedance Flake and Squadron Leader out of tins. Squadron Leader needed a little drying, but FVF and Firedance could have been rung out they were so moist. I actually did not transfer them to jars and am letting them sit in their tins.

Is it typical that comparable bulk blends are dryer than their tinned counterparts? If so, I will always try to buy bulk as I have generally had a better experience with those tobaccos.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Old Sammy G. had a bust up with his cousin - who went off and opened a new factory, so he could send more tobacco to the ever-pleading settlers in the colonies, Sammy said he would just keep sending a couple of barrels every few months, no matter how much they moaned!, after all - the Irish had flatly refused to send Condor to the 'new world'!.
    OT

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , man ... the tinned stuff needs dry time . They just do . MB really takes the prize for ' ready out of the tin ' , imo

10. craig

craig Active Member

if you search google mate you can find the samuel gawith website and it has the full history from when it was started right up until the present day, if i remember correctly i think they were brothers and one of them left and formed a partnership, i think it was also quite acrimonious and the factorys wernt that far from each other.
    Also one of the companys snuff machines was actually first used as a gunpowder grinder for the old muskets.
    But have a read of the website the history is a long read but its quite an interesting read.

Stonewall likes this.
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I am a big fan of SG Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes. They do need considerable drying time which is the only downside to these wonderful blends. I have tried a couple of the GH products, but I just cannot get used to the Lakeland essence. I really want to love them because I smoke so many different flakes, but so far no go. I keep them on hand though just in case my tastes change for them.

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I will do that! Thanks, mate!

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

Does SG make a flake that is 1792 without the Tonquin?

14. craig

craig Active Member

No worries fella its actually quite an interesting story, the early years the relationship was quite fiery and they were always trying to out do each other i think its a river in cumbria that actually seperates the factorys, now i think its just good spirited competition between them, but i think if it came to it they would probably both stand on each others heads if it meant survival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.