Sanda Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Sly2517, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sly2517

Sly2517 Member

Has anyone ever tried the Sanda pipes? Has anyone had a good experience with one? I myself had purchased one from a shop that sells tobacco products. Got it for $16 Wasn't sure about the brand so I looked up the name and saw it had horrible reviews. Most said that the brand had a metal lining screwed in. The particular pipe I bought looked like a normal pipe. No metal insert and so far 6 months later still smokes good. I suppose I was lucky.
  2. cmw00

cmw00 New Member

Ah, you can't always believe everything you read on the internet, sometimes.
  3. Legend

Legend Member

A Sanda pipe was the first pipe I bought starting out, and it did have the metal liner. It ran me $17. That pipe and Borkum Riff combined almost made me quit pipesmoking! I went to another tiny smokeshop and bought a MM cob, some Prince Albert, and a few Lane blends. What a difference! Your pipe may be different but I have in the past steered others away from the Sanda pipes. It was a nightmare for me.
  4. pottsy

pottsy Member

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!:startle: I call BS.
  5. caleb442

caleb442 Member

First pipe I ever bought. It had the metal liner. Worst piece of garbage I ever smoked. I almost gave up on this terrific hobby before I really started. It has since been furiously thrown in the trash can!
  6. Legend

Legend Member

I sh!tcanned mine also...I could not bring myself to give that thing away.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Burlatvaperaro !!!! Mayor

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

I think they make those in China out of poison. My kids bought me one in Chinatown and other than opening the box to see the metal pan in the bottom I don't know where the thing is.

But glad yours smokes well!

J
  9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Any pipe made in China no matter what it's made of is terrible smoking. If you are making a Sanda smoke well, try a good pipe and you will be in heaven!
  10. paultrue21

paultrue21 New Member

Not very long ago I bought a set of 5 of these Sanda pipes. I don't know if I was mislead or rather in a state of blind excitement at the thought of finding such a great bargai. When my package arrived I felf like a little kid at Christmas. When I opened the package and saw these plastic pipes with metal srewed in bowls, I felt as if someone had just told me that there was no Santa Claus all over again. I couldn't bring myself to smoke them.
  11. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

I Had a Sanda Pipe as my first pipe,
    and it lasted me a week before it developed a big crack in the bottom of the bowl.
    Iam not sure what wood they are made from but mine smoked bitter and worst garbage.
    Not all bad as it made me buy a good briar and I thew the Sanda in the bin.
    :thumbsd:
  12. jmiket91

jmiket91 New Member

Aren't the metal lined bowls meant for the green weed? I could be wrong, but I was always under that impression.
  13. Sly2517

Sly2517 Member

I suppose I was lucky with this one. I had bought it not just because of the price but because of the look and it stands on its own (has a flat bottom). The bowl is kind of deep. Takes me a good long while to smoke. I do have pictures of this pipe and others but have trouble loading them here because of the size. The pictures are elsewhere.
  14. StevenEC

StevenEC New Member

I saw them on ebay and amazon, seemed like they were Chinese made plastic pipes. Just get a cob if you want a $5 pipe, or just spend the $20 on a Kaywoodie saxon if you want a more traditional looking pipe at budget price that you won't risk poisoning from.
  15. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Or go on rBay and get a used Dr Grabow, you can't go wrong if you are after an inexpensive pipe.
  16. fruktflugan

fruktflugan New Member

I have one of them Sanda's with the metal liner and it smokes... well... nearly OK.

The trick is to remove the innards, all the stingers, the o-rings and all that crap that does not need to be in there. They are oiled with pure putrid poison-oil too so you'll have to clean that out thoroughly before ever using the pipe.

Then what you have is a crappy plastic metal lined pipe that you can run over with your car or lay on the railroad track to see what happens when a 93-car freight train passes over it. (But it won't taste like arse anyway)

/J
  17. Sly2517

Sly2517 Member

WellI found a way to downsize the pic of this Sanda that I was referring to so I can show you all. I hope this works.[attachment=1113:bent billiard pipe.jpg]
  18. Kingjango22

Kingjango22 New Member

I had a Sanda pipe....WORST FORT-PULLING THING I EVER BOUGHT! The bowl got so dang hot I thought it would set my hand on fire, not to mention that after one light, there was so much tobacco juice in the bowl that I could pour it out like Niagra falls. The mothpiece cracked under my jaws, and yes there is a metal lining screwed in. Please for the love of Jordan DO NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE!TAKE MY STORY TO HEART!
  19. Sly2517

Sly2517 Member

Wow! So many have had a bad experience with a Sanda pipe. I must have been lucky to find one that did not have a metal lining screwed into the bowl. I must have been REAL lucky. So far it has worked nicely. Kind of heavy though. If you haven't seen it, the pic is in my gallery.
  20. Pecci

Pecci Member

Hi Silvestre, Have you ever tried MM Cob pipe? If you are enjoying your Sanda, that's great. However, I would try an MM Cob just to compare. You may find pipe smoking even more enjoyable! :cheers: