1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sasieni pipe that was my father....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nitehawk, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

My father, now deceased, gave me several of his pipes a few years back. The one of interest is a Sasieni pipe pictured below. All I know for sure about it, is that he purchased it in London, in the late '60's, '67 or '68 to be exact. The pipe is actually in real good shape. and after giving the inside of the stem and airway a good cleaning, I have smoked it maybe a half dozen times. Was wondering if it is worth getting professionally restored?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ichabod

ichabod Member

I would say yes simply because of the sentimental value of it. It shouldn't cost too much to have it professionally cleaned up at all.

3. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Yeah, I agree ichabob. It's actually one of his better pipes, since he smoked the crap out of most pipes he had. He smoked Mixture 79. I tried a bowl of 79 ONCE...and after 5 or 6 puffs, it felt like somebody had a strangle-hold on my throat. Never touch that stuff again.

4. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

That stem is pretty oxidized but nothing that can't be fixed

5. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Hey flash.....the stem doesn't matter, as much as the pipe does. Like you said, the stem can be easily cleaned, or replaced. But ya figure the pipe is 45 years old, and the only funky part, is the stem.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I just lost my father in March. If I had a pipe like that from him, I would definitely have it restored. There are plenty of good restoration places to send it, but if it was mine, I ship it to Dave at Walker BriarWorks. Full resto is like $35 and a new cumberland green stem about $25.

nitehawk likes this.
  7. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Hey Brad....yeah my father passed last March as well. I've heard Walker BriarWorks mentioned here several times, so they must have an excellent reputation......thanks.

8. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I would say that it's worth getting cleaned simply for the sentimental factor, but actually it will clean up beautifully and be a nice pipe to boot. After Walker is done with it, it will be completely transformed. Being an old Sasieni, it should be well crafted of quality briar. The grain looks very good in your pictures.

If you're sending it to Walker already, you might want to have a lucite stem made. It should be less than $20, and since the pipe will be with you forever, it will save you some cleaning & polishing down the line. I don't know if that will affect its sentimentality for you though, so it's just a suggestion. It looks like a new stem might fit better too, if the gap in the pictures is permanent.

All in all, I think you are very very lucky to have received such a gift. Treasure and enjoy it!

9. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Hey nowsharing....yeah, I figure it has to be a good quality pipe, for looking as good as it does after 45 years. And, yeah, there is a very slight gap there on the stem, the stem's not in that great of shape anyway, so I had planned on getting it replaced....thanks.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Nothing like old wood, the briar quality itself would be worth the refurbishing, send it to Dave Walker at Walker Briar works, that pipe will look brand new when you get it back and the stamping on it may make it very collectable to boot!

11. BradNTX

I was curious about the history of Sasieni pipes, since yours came from the 60's. I found a 1960's Sasieni catalogue and thought I post a couple of photos. Looks like yours might be a #54 Retford from the premium line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Good research Brad!

13. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Brad....it does have a number on the right side (if holding it by the stem), the first number is either a 2 or 3, but I can't tell because the bottom half is worn away. The second number is definitely a 9. And on the left side (in the photo) where it says London Made....By Sasieni, it has something stamped above that. But, again, most of it has been worn away......bummer.

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

nitehawk, you have a London made Sasieni in an of itself that makes it an old wood briar and collectable to say the least!

15. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Marc...I figured it might be special. The reason the old man gave it to me. He smoked the crap out of his pipes, but this one seems to have been used very sparingly. Unusual, for someone who regularly chewed through the bits on the stem. I know for a fact, he bought it in London in '67 or '68.

16. BradNTX

Well, I just stopped looking when I found one that looked like yours. With a little more information, I found this other page w/the number "29 Lancashire" that is probably it.

[​IMG]

17. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Good catch, Brad. I bet that's it. When I did a search for Sasieni, or Sasieni #29, I came up with squat. Anyway, definitely going to get it refurbished, and definitely gonna smoke it after I do....thanks, dude.

18. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Maybe in another 45 years some young hawklet will be on the pipe smoker's virtual reality brain link asking people if it's worth cleaning up this old Sasieni he got from his salty-ass old grandpa! :)

nitehawk and BradNTX like this.
  19. Beale

Beale Active Member

You have a great pipe. It will remind youof your dad every time you smoke it. I agree have it redone, Beale.

nitehawk likes this.
  20. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Thanks, everyone....for all the info and help. It is, greatly appreciated.

Beale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.