1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Sasieni Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Who owns one? Who likes them? Are they worth a hoot? What's with the dots? LoL!

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Well, I have a Sasieni second (Olde English), and it is my favorite briar...

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Just scored a two dot off the bay. I won a lot of ten pipes which included a dunhill, two petes, several English no names and a two dot sas. It is my understanding that sasieni was one of the first pipe makers A. Dunhill employed. He later broke off and started Sasieni pipes. After a legal battle over the dots sasieni had to add more dots to his pipes? The eight dot seems to be the most sought after. By the way I am not a pipe expert but i am staying at a holiday inn express tonight.

JimInks, Stonewall and TedVig like this.
  4. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

The dunhill is very bottom left side. Go up two pipes and the one with the two dots is the Sasieni. These will all be restored and resold.?...........maybe.[​IMG]

JimInks and Stonewall like this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I own a two dot and a 4 dot and they are both very good smokers. Very easy to break in, too. A bargain for the price.

Stonewall likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Interesting history behind these pipes. Almost parallel to several other big pipe makers.

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I have three of their pipes. They're good quality for the money. Savinelli has a new offering called Autoritratto Self-Portrait Leonardo da Vinci Collection for around $140.00. Making only 150 rusticated in the run I got number 71.

8. Bob K

Bob K Member

Back in the day, the 4 dots were top of the line; 2 dots were lesser, usually less attractive grain. I probably have a dozen or more, and they're all quite good.

When I was a kid, working for Jack Schwartz in Chicago, Ron Sasieni, then head of the family business, paid a visit. As I recall, he was a small man, bright red hair, quite pale. Funny, in that they were Italian Jews who moved to England in the mid 19th century (or so the story went).

Rory and furious like this.
  9. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I have a family era and current era and both are great smokers.

10. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

By the way, I think they're worth several hoots.

11. furious

furious Junque collector

All family-era pipes are worth at least one hoot and most likely several. For many years the marque was a bargain, esp. on the estate market.

12. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Some thoughts:
    One dot- very rare..made in the early 1920's..legal trouble with Dunhill..had to change to 4 dots
    4 Dot Patent- made from the 1920's through about 1946 when Joel Sasieni passed away..4 dots so popular they went to 8
    8 Dot Patent- made from the 1920's through 1940's..too expensive to do 8 dots with the War..discontinued

After 1946:
    Patent numbers discontinued, 8-Dot discontinued, script changed

Family Era about 1921-1979. Pre-WWII pipes more sought after..made by the father/founder.

ajvan, Rodfather and Robert leslie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.