1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Savannah

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Gradog, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

I just tried a sample of Savannah from Tobacco Trader. I smoked it in a filtered MM. This was a total surprise for me. I thought what the heck it's free. When it got here it was a little moist. After drying it out a bit I smoked a bowl and fell in love. Lots of nice rich creamy smoke, not a full flavor like a English blend but enough satisfying flavor to enjoy it down to the bottom of the bowl. I plan to get more of this. A definite keeper! :thumbsu:

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That Savannah's a good smoke indeed. I spiked the remainder of my sample with some bourbon and I'm letting it ferment age.

Bri2k

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Couldn't agree more! When I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I plan on bulking up on it.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I agree that its a good mild aro blend. Their Gulfstream and Charterhouse are pretty good too.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Stop giving me ideas!!!...(La-La-La-La-La...)...can't hear you!!!

6. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Yeah, I'm about to order some more of that! I loved it! If you haven't got a sample yet... its totally free (1 oz) and totally worth it!

7. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

I've enjoyed smoking it as well. Its become one of my favs. Once I get back to the workforce, I plan on ordering a good amount of it, as I enjoyed the free sample immensely

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Interesting, could be tempting!

I haven't heard of anyone adding spirits to tobacco in years; when they could get hold of it The Old Boys used to put a jolt of it into a jar of Condor, but they didn't do it to store, just to smoke right away. I'd be really interested if Brik could tell us how much and for how long to store and seal - this is an idea I'd like to try with a straight virginia and some Speyside Whisky.

Best to all

Gerry

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I sprinkled maybe a capful or two of Knob Creek bourbon on a little less than an ounce of Savannah and it's been aging for two months. I tried smoking it right away, but I had trouble keeping it lit and I wanted to give the bourbon time to flavor all of the tobacco so it went into a dark corner of my smoking cabinet.

Bri2k

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Thanks - I've got some nice straight virginia that I want to try this with. My friend Eric on the caravan site was a foreman with Ballantynes Whisky and he gave me a bottle of their Directors' Reserve for my birthday. Will try it when I get back to Scotland and then keep it til Christmas and see how it tastes then.

Thanks again

Gerry

11. Introibo2009

Introibo2009 Member

Gerry, I was reading on one of the other forums that what you need to do is put a jigger of spirits in a plastic pot, spread the tobacco around it (dry), and seal the pot, leaving it to stand for about two weeks. At the end of that time, the spirit should have evaporated into the tobacco, but without soaking it. The other way it was suggested was to put the tobacco into a jar, fill the jar with the spirit, then leave it open to evaporate. Someone used the former method to marinate his tobacco in absinthe.

I was thinking of trying some basic VA from Stokebbye with a little scotch, but still have not got round to it.

Let me know what happens.

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Hoping to be back to Scotland next week for a few days; will separate out about 1/2lb of Quadruple Virginia and try the generous tot at the bottom of a jar then fill with dry tobacco and see what happens - got another free bottle of Scotch this week; the site at Seahouses is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and commissioned a blend which they have given every owner a bottle of - this seems an appropriate one to use,

Gerry

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I didn't do nuthin with it but smoke it...and loved every minute of it. :jig:

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'm interested to know how this experiment turns out...

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

It's still percolating and I plan on cracking it after it's aged 6 months. I could taste a hint of bourbon in it when I tried it and I'm hoping more time will enhance the effect.

Bri2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.